International Arbitration and Global Dispute ResolutionSeptember 8, 2022
In recent months, Sullivan & Cromwell has achieved successful outcomes for clients in three high-stakes international arbitrations and disputes, highlighting the Firm’s ability to handle complex multi-jurisdictional conflicts for clients across the globe. These matters include favorable results for:
- Bayer AG in an ICC arbitration seated in Germany against claims by BASF that it overpaid for assets that it bought from Bayer in 2018. The tribunal unanimously found for Bayer in this dispute with more than a billion dollars reportedly at stake. The team was led by Dustin Guzior and Rick Pepperman, who were named “Litigators of the Week” by The American Lawyer for this result.
- Centerra Gold using an UNCITRAL investor-state arbitration seated in Sweden and a novel bankruptcy strategy that enabled the Canadian mining company to reach a favorable settlement with the Kyrgyz Republic and its state-owned gold-refining company in a multijurisdictional dispute over the government’s seizure of the company’s Kumtor mine. The team was led by Stewart Robertson in London and Joe Neuhaus, John Hardiman and Andrew Finn in New York. Jim Bromley led the New York-based Chapter 11 team.
- Sempra Energy in an ICC arbitration seated in Toronto that rejected a bid by Shell and Gazprom to terminate long-term customer agreements with Sempra’s Mexican subsidiary for the use of an LNG storage facility in Mexico. The team was led by Joe Neuhaus and Andrew Finn.
Recognized Practice by:
- Chambers Global: Dispute Resolution
- Chambers Global: USA Disputes (International & Cross Border)
- Legal 500 International Litigation
- Legal 500 International Arbitration
- U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms Nationwide: International Arbitration-Commercial
- U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms Nationwide: International Arbitration-Governmental
Recent Podcasts and Publications
- S&C Critical Insights Podcast: Supreme Court Business Review: ZF Automotive v. Luxshare, Badgerow v. Walters and Morgan v. Sundance
- Memo: Supreme Court Bars Discovery in Aid of Foreign Arbitrations
- S&C Critical Insights Podcast: Risks of Expropriation or Asset Seizure Impacting Global Investors
- Publication: S&C Litigators Author Chapter in The Guide to Evidence in International Arbitration
- S&C Critical Insights Podcast: Will the EU Destroy Investor-State Arbitration?