Kamil R. ShieldsPartner
Ms. Shields rejoined the Firm in 2019 from the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, where she served as an Assistant United States Attorney in both the Cyber Crime and Fraud and Public Corruption sections. In her capacity as an Assistant United States Attorney, Ms. Shields served as lead prosecutor in 13 jury trials, investigated and indicted dozens of cases, drafted and argued procedural and substantive motions, worked with expert witnesses, and coordinated with victims of fraud and other crimes.
Her representative matters include the prosecution of individuals engaged in concerted business email compromise schemes through means of ransomware, cyber intrusions resulting in the unlawful acquisition of personal identifying information used to commit wire and bank fraud affecting thousands of victims, an extortionate racketeering scheme involving demands for virtual currency, and romance scam frauds in which victims were induced to pay monies by means of social engineering.
Ms. Shields was part of the team that successfully litigated the requisite standard by which the government may compel biometric access to electronic devices during the execution of a search warrant, an issue of first impression in the District of Columbia. Additionally, Ms. Shields investigated several high-profile public corruption and fraud matters involving, among others, alleged violations of the federal false statements, obstruction, and perjury statutes, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Ms. Shields received several special achievement awards for her efforts in the office.
She is a member of The Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court, an invitation-only professional organization devoted to advancing the practice of white collar criminal prosecution and defense.
Prior to her government service, Ms. Shields was an associate in Sullivan & Cromwell’s New York office, where she focused on complex financial litigation and investigations. While an associate at S&C, Ms. Shields was recognized as a “Rising Star” by New York Super Lawyers (2013, 2014).
- A major international bank in an investigation by the Department of Justice into its anti-money laundering controls.
- A major international bank in an investigation by the Department of Justice and the New York State Department of Financial Services into alleged sanctions violations.
- An e-commerce company in connection with an internal investigation and advising on its compliance program and internal controls.
- A global private equity firm in investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the New York Attorney General related to certain financial projections in marketing materials.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in connection with litigation following the settlement of class action claims related to vehicle emissions.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Events
- Speaker, “The Do's and Don'ts of Complex Litigation: An Overview of an Action Through Discovery”, PLI (June 15, 2022)
Moderator, “Global Enforcement Trends,” International White Collar Crime Symposium, New York City Bar Association (November 30, 2021)
- Panelist, “Responding to the Investigation,” PLI’s Government Investigations 2021: Investigations Arising from Data Breach and Privacy Concerns and Parallel Proceedings Webinar (January 27, 2021)
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity and Global Compliance,” PLI’s Compliance & Ethics Essentials 2020 (June 29, 2020)
- Panelist, “Responding to the Investigation,” PLI’s Government Investigations 2020: Investigations Arising from Data Breach and Privacy Concerns and Parallel Proceedings (January 31, 2020)
- Panelist, “Fourth-Party Cyber Risk: Securing the Endpoints of Your Business Ecosystem,” RANE (October 8, 2019)