Anthony J. LewisPartner
Mr. Lewis joined the Firm in 2019 from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California, where he was Deputy Chief of the Terrorism and Export Crimes Section. During more than 10 years of service, he prosecuted sophisticated cybercrimes, financial frauds and criminal tax cases, as well as various domestic and international counterintelligence and counterterrorism matters. Mr. Lewis’ experience includes charging the largest-ever cyber heist at Bangladesh’s central bank that was part of a North Korean conspiracy, which also included computer network intrusions at other banks and at Sony Pictures Entertainment, and used the WannaCry ransomware. He also led the prosecution resulting in the conviction of a businessman for conspiring with military officers to steal aerospace and military technology from defense contractors. Additionally, Mr. Lewis was part of the litigating team seeking to compel Apple to decrypt an iPhone used by a terrorist in the San Bernardino attack. His work has involved in-depth digital forensic review, malware comparison, and internet-based investigation. He has conducted and supervised investigations and prosecutions involving OFAC-administered sanctions, the Export Administration Regulations, and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Mr. Lewis has tried a variety of cases and briefed and argued appeals before the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Lewis began his career as an associate at S&C, where he worked on complex government investigations.
- Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service (2009; 2019)
- FBI Director’s Award, Outstanding Cyber Investigation (2015)
- DHS/HSI Executive Associate Director’s Award, Counter-Proliferation (2010)
- Director of National Intelligence, Meritorious Unit Citation (2012; 2016)
- National Counterintelligence and Security Center, Countering Cyber and Technical Threats (2016; 2019)
- ODNI, Deputy Director for Intelligence Integration: National Intelligence Analysis Award (2015)
- Advised acquirer in an M&A transaction in which a significant data breach was discovered at the target just before closing. The deal was successfully completed.
- Represented a technology company in responding to the cyber theft of its source code, including notification to millions of customers, coordination with law enforcement, and conducting an internal investigation.
- Advising a retailer in connection with a cybersecurity breach at its third-party e-commerce platform.
- Advised a public company retailer regarding a potential cybercriminal compromise of its payment processing platform resulting in unauthorized charges on customers’ credit cards.
- Conducted internal investigations for financial institutions regarding potential regulatory issues.
- A foreign public company in an SEC Enforcement investigation regarding accounting matters.
- Multiple foreign public companies in investigations into potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Supply Chain Attacks: Views from the Government and Industry Experts, panel discussion at Sandpiper Partners LLC’s Cybersecurity and Privacy East Coast Conference (July 2021).
- SEC Charges Issuer for Inadequate Cybersecurity Disclosure Controls, NYU Law Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement (June 2021)
- BBC Podcast – The Lazarus Heist (“2. Disaster Movie” 4/25/21; “4. Billion Dollar Hack” 5/9/21; “10. Killswitch” 6/2/21)
- Excellence in Compliance and U.S. Law: Cybersecurity and Privacy, ZHAW School of Management and Law and NYSBA Event (May 2021)
- Employee Communications Practices and Investigations, Bloomberg Law (March 2021)
- Guest Lecturer, Computer Crime Law, USC Law School (March 2021)
- S&C Critical Insights – Federal Banking Agencies Propose Required Cyber Incident Notifications (2/3/21)
- Guest Lecturer, Cyber Law and Policy, Pepperdine Law School (October 2020, February 2019)
- S&C Critical Insights – Developing a Robust Multi-National Compliance Program (9/21/20)
- S&C Critical Insights – Updates to Cybersecurity Concerns Under COVID-19 (6/15/2020)
- Developing a Robust Compliance Programme in Latin America, LACCA The Guide to Corporate Compliance (Chapter 4) (April 2020)
- S&C Critical Insights – Cybersecurity Risks Associated with COVID-19 (3/23/20)
- Legal Perspectives on Fintech and BSA/AML, panel discussion hosted by International Bankers Association of California (December 2019)
- Critical Risks and Government Perspectives, panel discussion at Sandpiper Partners LLC’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Conference (November 2019)
- Botnet Disruptions: Legal Authorities and Technical Vectors, Doj J. of Fed. L. and Prac. (Cybercrime and Cyber Threats) (February 2019)
- Cybercrime: Case by Case, discussions on attribution in cyber prosecutions, hosted by Center for American Studies and U.S. Embassy to Italy, Rome (2018)
- International Association of Financial Crimes Investigators, Economic and Cyber Crime Symposium (2013)
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, Federal Law Enforcement Panel (2010)