Anthony J. LewisPartner
Since 2021, he has been a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the Central District of California.
Mr. Lewis joined the Firm in 2019 from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California, where he was Deputy Chief of the Terrorism and Export Crimes Section. During more than 10 years of service, he prosecuted violations of U.S. sanctions and export controls, sophisticated cybercrimes, financial frauds and criminal tax cases, as well as various domestic and international counterintelligence and counterterrorism matters. Mr. Lewis’ experience includes charging the largest-ever cyber heist at Bangladesh’s central bank that was part of a North Korean conspiracy, which also included computer network intrusions at other banks and at Sony Pictures Entertainment, and used the WannaCry ransomware. Additionally, Mr. Lewis was part of the litigating team seeking to compel Apple to decrypt an iPhone used by a terrorist in the San Bernardino attack. His work has involved in-depth digital forensic review, malware comparison, and internet-based investigation. He has conducted and supervised investigations and prosecutions involving OFAC-administered sanctions, the Export Administration Regulations, and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Mr. Lewis has tried a variety of cases and briefed and argued appeals before the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Lewis began his career as an associate at S&C, where he worked on complex government investigations.
- Digital Assets, Money Laundering, and Illicit Financing, panel discussion at Harvard Law School National Security Journal’s Digital Currencies and National Security symposium (October 2022)
- Incident Response: National Security Issues, panel discussion at Cybersecurity Docket's Incident Response Forum Masterclass (April 2022)
- Supply Chain Attacks: Views from the Government and Industry Experts, panel discussion at Sandpiper Partners LLC’s Cybersecurity and Privacy East Coast Conference (July 2021)
- BBC Podcast – The Lazarus Heist (“2. Disaster Movie” 4/25/21); (“4. Billion Dollar Hack” 5/9/21; “10. Killswitch” 6/2/21)
- Excellence in Compliance and U.S. Law: Cybersecurity and Privacy, ZHAW School of Management and Law and NYSBA Event (May 2021)
- Guest Lecturer, Computer Crime Law, USC Law School (March 2021)
- Guest Lecturer, Cyber Law and Policy, Pepperdine Law School (October 2020, February 2019)
- Legal Perspectives on Fintech and BSA/AML, panel discussion hosted by International Bankers Association of California (December 2019)
- Critical Risks and Government Perspectives, panel discussion at Sandpiper Partners LLC’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Conference (November 2019)
- Cybercrime: Case by Case, discussions on attribution in cyber prosecutions, hosted by Center for American Studies and U.S. Embassy to Italy, Rome (2018)
- International Association of Financial Crimes Investigators, Economic and Cyber Crime Symposium (2013)
- Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists, Federal Law Enforcement Panel (2010)
- Treasury Study on Illicit Finance in the High-Value Art Market, NYU Law Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement (March 2022)
- Developing a Robust Compliance Programme in Latin America, LACCA The Guide to Corporate Compliance (Chapter 4), (2nd Ed.-August 2021, 1st Ed.-April 2020)
- SEC Charges Issuer for Inadequate Cybersecurity Disclosure Controls, NYU Law Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement (June 2021)
- Employee Communications Practices and Investigations, Bloomberg Law (March 2021)
- Botnet Disruptions: Legal Authorities and Technical Vectors, Doj J. of Fed. L. and Prac. (Cybercrime and Cyber Threats) (February 2019)
- S&C Critical Insights – Recent SEC Cybersecurity Enforcement Actions (10/18/21)
- S&C Critical Insights – Developing a Robust Multi-National Compliance Program (9/30/21)
- S&C Critical Insights – Supreme Court Business Review: Van Buren v. United States and Facebook v. Duguid (8/11/21)
- S&C Critical Insights – Federal Banking Agencies Propose Required Cyber Incident Notifications (2/3/21)
- S&C Critical Insights – Developing a Robust Multi-National Compliance Program (9/21/20)
- S&C Critical Insights – Updates to Cybersecurity Concerns Under COVID-19 (6/15/2020)
- S&C Critical Insights – Cybersecurity Risks Associated with COVID-19 (3/23/20)
- Represented Tenaris in resolving multi-year investigations by the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission, which concluded in June 2022 when the DOJ closed its investigation without taking any action and the company resolved the matter with the SEC without admitting or denying wrongdoing.
- Represented the Audit Committee of Cronos Group Inc., a global cannabis company, in a multi-year investigation involving two restatements of its financial statements. Subsequently represented Cronos in resolving the investigation by the SEC that resulted in a rare settlement involving securities fraud with a zero financial penalty in which the SEC credited the company’s extensive cooperation.
- Represented BitMEX, one of the world’s largest digital currency derivatives trading platforms, in the resolution of a CFTC investigation into alleged registration and KYC/AML violations.
- Multiple foreign public companies in investigations into potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Conducted internal investigations for financial institutions regarding potential regulatory issues.
- Represented a technology company in responding to the cyber theft of its source code, including notification to millions of customers, coordination with law enforcement, and conducting an internal investigation.
- Advised acquirer in an M&A transaction in which a significant data breach was discovered at the target just before closing. The deal was successfully completed.
- Advised and assisted public companies in responding to SEC requests concerning the SolarWinds breach and other compromises.
- Advising a retailer in connection with a cybersecurity breach at its third-party e-commerce platform.
RANKINGS & RECOGNITION
- Lawdragon – Recognized as one of the “500 Leading Litigators in America” (2022)
- Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service (2009; 2019)
- FBI Director’s Award, Outstanding Cyber Investigation (2015)
- DHS/HSI Executive Associate Director’s Award, Counter-Proliferation (2010)
- Director of National Intelligence, Meritorious Unit Citation (2012; 2016)
- National Counterintelligence and Security Center, Countering Cyber and Technical Threats (2016; 2019)
- ODNI, Deputy Director for Intelligence Integration: National Intelligence Analysis Award (2015)