Selected Sullivan & Cromwell infrastructure matters dealing with railroads and companies active in this sector include:
- Canadian Pacific Railway Limited in its pending $29 billion acquisition of Kansas City Southern.
- Gateway Development Commission, the New York/New Jersey bistate commission to develop, finance and build a new tunnel and rail line under the Hudson River from Pennsylvania Station to Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners in connection with the acquisition of VTG Aktiengesellschaft by Warwick Holding GmbH, an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of funds advised by Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners.
- Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners in its €1.056 billion sale of 100% of the share capital of Aero 1 Global & International S.à.r.l., a shareholder of Groupe Eurotunnel, to Atlantia.
- Goldman Sachs as financial adviser to Siemens AG in connection with its Memorandum of Understanding with Alstom to combine Siemens’ mobility business, including its rail traction drives business, with Alstom in a merger of equals transaction.
- GCT Bayonne LP, a subsidiary of Global Container Terminals, in its an agreement with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to develop the ExpressRail Port Jersey facility, a major ship-to-rail port project located directly adjacent to the recently expanded, state-of-the-art GCT Bayonne container terminal.
- Eurotunnel, in which S&C advised GS Infrastructure Partners in the refinancing of Eurotunnel through an €800 million offering. As a result of the refinancing, GS acquired a significant interest in the Eurotunnel asset.
- U.S. counsel to the underwriters in a $4 billion global IPO of Kyushu Railway Company in 2016.
- The state of Queensland and QR National’s A$4 billion IPO. QR National is Australia’s largest rail freight operator.
This transaction was the second-largest IPO in the Australia’s history.
- The sale of VIAS to DSB SOV, in which S&C advised Stadtwerke Verkehrsgesellschaft Frankfurt am Main, the provider of local transportation in Frankfurt am Main, on financing matters in connection with the sale of its 50 percent stake in a local railway company VIAS to the Danish state railway provider DSB SOV.
- Invensys Rail (U.K.), in which S&C represented the financial advisers to Siemens in its €2.2 billion acquisition of Invensys.
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe’s SEC-registered $750 million offering of debentures.
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe, in which S&C represented the financial advisers to Burlington in Berkshire Hathaway’s $44 billion acquisition of the company.
- Canadian National Railway’s numerous SEC-registered debt offerings, in which S&C represented the underwriters.
- MTR’s $1.6 billion rail merger with Kowloon-Canton Railway. MTR is the world’s largest subway operator by market value. S&C’s work included negotiating service concessions and acquisition of assets.
- Mass Transit Railway’s financing of the Hong Kong Transit rail expansion and subsequent financings.
The transaction was awarded “Asia-Pacific Borrower of the Year” and “Asia-Pacific Bond of the Year” by IFR.
- China Railway Group, in which S&C advised Leslie Lee Alexander and Grahamstowe Investments in Grahamstowe’s investment in the company.
- Central Japan Railway’s $4.29 billion local public offering and Rule 144A U.S. offering for the partial privatization, in which S&C represented the underwriters.
- Wisconsin Central Transportation’s $1.2 billion acquisition by the Canadian National Railway.
- Mass Transit Railway’s IPO, in which S&C represented the issuer.
- South Boston Piers Transitway project, in which S&C advised the MBTA on certain financing and regulatory aspects.