We view ourselves first and foremost as business lawyers. This mindset enables us to partner with clients from an early-stage, providing practical advice on structuring and capital raising, as well as in key mission-critical areas affecting their business, including complex and often uncertain regulatory regimes, cybersecurity and data privacy, IP licensing and collaborations, and competition laws.
Investors turn to us at various entry points (from seed to growth equity stages) to help them develop optimal strategies at each stage of their evolution, from initial structuring and financing, regulatory analyses and diligence, to exit events. Drawing on our experience advising on some of the most prominent transactions and litigation in the world, we routinely represent:
- Emerging growth companies at all stages of their lifecycle, including founder and early-stage exits;
- Investors in investments in venture capital-backed companies; and
- Companies and investors in acquiring emerging growth companies.
Using our multidisciplinary approach, we assemble elite teams from our leading practices in M&A, Antitrust, Intellectual Property, Capital Markets, Finance, Litigation, Corporate Governance, Tax, Fintech, Insurance, Cybersecurity, Criminal Defense & Investigations and Technology, Media and Telecommunications and our strong presence in Silicon Valley.
S&C's non-U.S. offices are also an integral part of our venture capital and emerging growth companies practice, offering leading transactional advice in both domestic and multijurisdictional matters.
We have advised:
- American Express in its acquisition of substantially all of Kabbage and its investments in and acquisitions of various fintech companies
- Booking Holdings in various matters, including its Series D funding (together with GIC) of Yanolja, bringing Yanolja's valuation to more than $1 billion and its strategic partnerships with and investments in Grab Holdings and Didi Chuxing
- ConsenSys in its Series A/B financing rounds (which included the acquisition of Quorum®, an enterprise-variant developed by J.P. Morgan), Series C financing round and $450 million Series D financing round, which brought its valuation to over $7 billion
- HelloFresh in $277 million acquisition of Factor75 and, as German and U.S. counsel to the issuer, in its $370 million IPO
- Kering in connection with Vestiaire Collective's €178 million financing round, backed by Kering and Tiger Global Management
- MUSIC as a co-investor in connection with Francisco Partners' investment in Kobalt
- simplesurance in its last financing round and subsequent acquisition by Allianz X
- Verily Life Sciences in multiple funding rounds, including its $1 billion investment round led by parent company Alphabet and $1 billion investment round led by Silver Lake
Top Ranked Law Firm
Notable Client Highlights
- S&C Advises Underwriters in Toast IPO
- S&C Advises Symbotic in $5.5 Billion Go-Public Merger with Softbank SPAC
- S&C Advises Booking Holdings in $1.2 Billion Acquisition of Getaroom
- S&C Lawyers Advise Mynaric on Nasdaq IPO