The Prescription for Success: S&C’s Healthcare Dealmakers
With the booming M&A market over the past few years, the Healthcare industry has played a leading role in driving M&A activity.
According to Thomson Reuters, Healthcare has accounted for nearly $2 trillion in announced M&A matters worldwide since 2014. Sullivan & Cromwell’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Group has been at the forefront of this Healthcare M&A activity, bringing its creativity, culture of collaboration and deal expertise to advise an assortment of clients across the Healthcare spectrum on some of the biggest and most significant matters. Since 2014, the group has advised on a staggering $500 billion in announced transactions worldwide, including many multi-billion-dollar transformative, cross-border matters spanning multiple jurisdictions.
S&C’s notable roster of select client representations includes:
- AbbVie’s $55 billion proposed acquisition of Shire
- Bayer’s $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto and $14.2 billion acquisition of the consumer care business of Merck
- CVS Health’s $12.7 billion acquisition of Omnicare
- Idenix Pharmaceuticals' $3.8 billion acquisition by Merck
- LabCorp’s $6.1 billion acquisition of Covance
- Praxair’s $80 billion merger of equals with Linde
- Stemcentrx’s $9.8 billion acquisition by AbbVie
- Stryker’s $2.8 billion acquisition of Sage Products and $55 million acquisition of Stanmore Implants
- Synageva BioPharma’s $8.4 billion acquisition by Alexion
- Syneos Health (formerly INC Research) in its $7.4 billion merger with inVentiv Health
- Teva Pharmaceutical’s $40.5 billion acquisition of Allergan’s generic drug business and $50.5 billion proposed unsolicited acquisition of Mylan
- UnitedHealth’s $12.8 billion pharmacy care business combination with Catamaran Corporation.
It’s no wonder that The American Lawyer has recognized several members of S&C’s Healthcare and Life Sciences practice. Recent recognitions include:
- Matthew Hurd: Two-time Dealmaker of the Year, Bayer’s acquisition of Monsanto and Bayer’s acquisition of the consumer care business of Merck
- Joseph Frumkin: Dealmaker of the Week, Teva’s acquisition of Allergan
- Keith Pagnani and Melissa Sawyer: Dealmakers of the Week, UnitedHealth’s acquisition of Catamaran Corporation
- Alison Ressler: Dealmaker of the Week, Valeant’s acquisition of Salix
- Matthew Hurd and Krishna Veeraraghavan: Dealmakers of the Week, Synageva BioPharma’s acquisition by Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Krishna Veeraraghavan: Dealmaker of the Week, LabCorp’s merger with Covance
- Frank Aquila: Dealmaker of the Year and two-time Dealmaker of the Week, most recently for Amgen Pharmaceuticals’ acquisition of Onyx Pharmaceuticals