Lawyers in Sullivan & Cromwell's Sports & Entertainment Group have extensive experience in transactions involving the professional sports and media industries. This includes stadium and arena developments, franchise and stadium/arena financings, acquisitions and sales, joint ventures and sponsorship deals. In addition, S&C has successfully represented a number of prominent professional sports leagues and franchises, and certain of their executives and owners, in high-profile disputes, including litigation. Recent representations include:
American Casino & Entertainment Properties, in its $850 million acquisition by Golden Entertainment.
ATL Investco, in connection with its purchase of the Atlanta Hawks NBA franchise.
c0ntact gaming, in its acquisition of the Paris franchise of the newly created Call of Duty League.
DM Esports, in its agreement to join The Overwatch League as the owner of an expansion franchise in Paris.
FilmYard Holdings, parent company of Miramax, in connection with beIN Media Group's acquisition of Miramax.
First Football LLC, in connection with its ownership interest in the Oakland Raiders NFL franchise.
Frank McCourt and his affiliated entities, in connection with all of his agreements with his former wife, Major League Baseball and Guggenheim Partners resulting in the record breaking $2.15 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers professional baseball team as well as the Dodgers Stadium property in a sales process conducted under the auspices of the Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
Joe Tsai, executive vice chairman and co-founder of Alibaba Group, in his purchase of a 49% interest in the Brooklyn Nets from owner Mikhail Prokhorov and subsequent purchase of the remaining 51% interest.
Jujamcyn Theaters, in connection with the $115 million financing of its Broadway theater business.
Madison Square Garden Companies, in connection with various arena and NBA and NHL franchise-related developments and financings.
Office of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball (MLB) in numerous governance, transactional and litigation matters.
MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) in numerous transactional and governance matters, including in connection with MLBAM's formation of BAMTech, MLB's digital streaming technology business, BAMTech's partnership with Eurosport, and the acquisition by the Walt Disney Company of a minority ownership interest in BAMTech, as well as Disney's acquisition of a majority interest in BAMTech.
Olympic de Marseille Football Club and its owner, Frank McCourt, in connection with Mr. McCourt's acquisition of Olympique de Marseille from Margarita Louis-Dreyfus, Chairman of the Louis Dreyfus Group, and on ongoing matters related to the club.
Outerstuff, Ltd. (U.S.) in connection with an investment by private equity funds affiliated with The Blackstone Group L.P. (U.S.) (2014) and various professional sports leagues.
New York Football Giants, in connection with all financings, ownership and other team and NFL matters.
New York Football Giants and New York Jets, in connection with matters related to their professional football stadium known as Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford New Jersey, including with their claims and litigation against the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and affiliates of Triple Five Group Worldwide related to the $3 billion American Dream/DreamWorks entertainment and retail development at the Meadowlands Sports Complex.
Significant Minority Investor in connection with the purchase of an interest in the Los Angeles Football Club (MLS).
Significant Minority Investor in its purchase of an interest in Nashville SC in connection with the team's acquisition of one of four available MLS expansion franchises.
Société Nautique de Genève, in litigation with Larry Ellison's Golden Gate Yacht Club over the America's Cup, obtaining a key ruling that allowed the 33rd Cup to be decided on the water, instead of in court.
Syracuse University, in connection with its decision to withdraw from the Big East Conference and to join the Atlantic Coast Conference, including negotiations with the Big East concerning the terms of Syracuse's early withdrawal.
Thomas W. Weisel, in matters relating to the doping scandal surrounding Lance Armstrong and the United States Postal Service Cycling Team, including in a Justice Department investigation, in successfully defending a qui tam action brought on behalf of the government by relator Floyd Landis, and in related civil litigation.
Various Investment Funds in their investments in Liberty Media Corporation in connection with Liberty Media's acquisition of Formula 1.
Wasserman Media Group, LLC in connection with various corporate, acquisition and financing matters.