S&C is Top M&A Law Firm for Global and U.S. Deals in 2022January 6, 2023
For the second consecutive year, Sullivan & Cromwell led all law firm advisers in announced global and U.S. M&A deals. The Firm advised on announced deals totaling $516.6 billion worldwide in 2022, representing a 14 percent market share, according to Refinitiv. The firm also led all law firms in completed deals, advising on deals totaling $698.2 billion worldwide.
S&C also ranked first in the following categories, according to Refinitiv:
- Global – completed deals for principals ($397.8 billion)
- United States – announced deals with any U.S. involvement ($338.2 billion)
- United States – completed deals with any U.S. involvement ($481.2 billion)
- Europe – completed deals with any European involvement ($308 billion)
- United Kingdom – completed deals with any U.K. involvement ($171.4 billion)
- France – completed deals with any French involvement ($51.7 billion)
“We are grateful for the opportunity to work alongside our clients on these transformative deals,” said Melissa Sawyer, the Global Head of S&C’s M&A practice. “Despite a drop in dealmaking from the record levels of 2021, we continued to help our clients negotiate and execute complex deals in challenging conditions. Our multi-disciplinary teams—including lawyers in our Antitrust, Executive Compensation, Financing, Intellectual Property and Tax practices—enabled clients to address the full range of issues that can arise.”
- Amgen in its pending $28.3 billion acquisition of Horizon Therapeutics
- Abiomed in its $18 billion merger with Johnson & Johnson
- Biohaven in its $11.6 billion acquisition by Pfizer
- Porsche SE in its €10.1 billion investment in Porsche AG
- Cornerstone in its $5.8 billion go-private acquisition by CD&R
- e& in its $4.4 billion acquisition of a 9.8 percent stake in Vodafone
- DigitalBridge in its $3.2 billion sale of its Wellness Infrastructure business
Listen to Senior M&A Partner Frank Aquila and Global Head of M&A Melissa Sawyer discuss major takeaways from M&A in 2022 and potential developments for 2023.
Learn more about S&C’s M&A practice and subscribe to our insights.