Haleon’s Landmark ListingJuly 26, 2022
In its latest transformative global transaction, Sullivan & Cromwell assisted Haleon PLC in its spin-off from the GSK Group. The deal not only created the world's biggest stand-alone consumer health company, but is the biggest European listing in more than a decade.
The transaction was executed as a demerger of 80 percent of GlaxoSmithKline's interest in Haleon, with holders of GSK shares or American Depository Shares receiving Haleon ordinary shares at a one-for-one ratio. Haleon's ordinary shares now trade on a stand-alone basis on the main market of the London Stock Exchange and its ADSs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
Haleon is a leading consumer healthcare business with products including Advil, Theraflu and Tums. Formerly known as GSK Consumer Healthcare, the company was a joint venture between GSK and Pfizer, with GSK holding a controlling interest of 68 percent.
Haleon was advised by a cross-border team of S&C lawyers in New York and London, including Frank Aquila, Audra Cohen, John Horsfield-Bradbury, Jim Simpson, Susan Lindsay and Nitish Verma. Eric Wang, John Jo and Ellen Kim advised on U.S. tax matters.
Sullivan & Cromwell led all law firm advisers in global M&A deals announced in the first half of 2022 measured by value, according to Refinitiv. The Firm advised on $356 billion in M&A deals, retaining the top spot from 2021 and representing a 16 percent market share.
Subscribe to stay current on developments in M&A and Healthcare & Life Sciences.
Recent Publications and Podcasts:
- Senior M&A Partner Frank Aquila Authors 'ESG-Driven Divestments' for Practical Law
- ESG Trends and Hot Topics
- Frank Aquila Discusses Shifting M&A Landscape with The American Lawyer
- S&C Critical Insights – Episode 2: Implications of SEC's Proposed Climate-Related Disclosure Rules
- S&C Critical Insights – Episode 1: Implications of SEC's Proposed Climate-Related Disclosure Rules
- S&C Critical Insights – 2021 U.S. Shareholder Activism in Review and a Look Ahead