The Firm has extensive experience with M&A, infrastructure, investments, financings, power purchase agreements and tax equity matters. This puts us in an ideal position to assist our clients in unique, complex and market-shaping transactions in the renewable energy sector.
Leveraging this deep legal and commercial expertise, we regularly advise clients in the following sectors:
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Development & Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Tax Equity Arrangements
- Renewable YieldCos
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSOur renewable and alternative energy sector experience includes the following highlights.
- Buckthorn Wind Project. Advised JPMorgan Chase Bank in a long-term virtual PPA transaction with Buckthorn Wind Project, a project company formed by NRG Energy, Inc., to develop a 100.5 MW wind-powered electric generation facility in Erath County, Texas
- G-I Energy Investments. Advised G-I Energy and its affiliates in multiple investments in and financings of solar facilities in the United States and Puerto Rico
- TerraForm Power. Advised TerraForm Power in the SunEdison bankruptcy and a merger and sponsorship transaction with Brookfield Asset Management. Brookfield assumed the role of TerraForm Power’s sponsor and became the controlling shareholder in a transaction with an implied total enterprise value of $6.6 billion. Named a “Standout” for “Innovation in Legal Expertise: Managing Complexity and Scale” by The Financial Times (2017).
- Tres Mesas Wind Project. Advised GBM Infraestructura and Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners in the acquisition of all of the equity interest of Oak Creek, a Marubeni subsidiary, in the Tres Mesas wind project under development in Mexico. The deal was named “Latin America Wind Deal of the Year” by IJ Global in 2015.
- Chaglla Hydropower. Advised a consortium led by China Three Gorges, which included Hubei Energy Group, ACE Investment Fund II LP and CNIC, in its proposed $1.39 billion acquisition of Empresa de Generación Huallaga from Odebrecht Energia del Perú and Odebrecht Energía
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. Advised CPPIB in its C$1.75 billion acquisition from Enbridge Inc. of 49% of Enbridge’s interests in select North American (Canada and U.S.) onshore renewable power assets, as well as 49% of Enbridge’s interests in two German offshore wind projects. Concurrently, CPPIB and Enbridge have entered into an agreement whereby the two parties will form a 50-50 joint venture to pursue future European offshore wind projects.
- Abengoa Restructuring. Advised the Co-ordinating Committee of Creditors, on the global restructuring of Abengoa, a Spanish renewables company operating across Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, which has a debt load of approximately €20 billion – “Legal Adviser of the Year, 2017,” Institute for Financial Turnaround.
- European Wind Farms. Advised ACE Investment Fund (Hong Kong) in connection with its €392 million acquisition of 49% of the equity interest in, and 49% of the loans owed by, EDP’s Italian and Polish wind farm project companies
- Tuas Power. Advised China Huaneng Group (China) in its $3.04 billion privatization and acquisition of Tuas Power (Singapore)
- Million Solar Homes Leasing. Advised the lenders to a consumer solar panel business in Tanzania, bringing power supply to a significant number of off-grid rural homes and communities