The Firm has extensive experience with M&A, infrastructure, investments, financings, power purchase agreements and tax equity matters. This puts us in an ideal position to assist our clients in unique, complex and market-shaping transactions in the renewable energy sector.
Leveraging this deep legal and commercial expertise, we regularly advise clients in the following sectors:
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Development & Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Tax Equity Arrangements
- Renewable YieldCos
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSOur renewable and alternative energy sector experience includes the following highlights.
- Buckthorn Wind Project. Advised JPMorgan Chase Bank in a long-term virtual PPA transaction with Buckthorn Wind Project, a project company formed by NRG Energy, Inc., to develop a 100.5 MW wind-powered electric generation facility in Erath County, Texas
- G-I Energy Investments. Advised G-I Energy and its affiliates in multiple investments in and financings of solar facilities in the United States and Puerto Rico
- TerraForm Power. Advised TerraForm Power in the SunEdison bankruptcy and a merger and sponsorship transaction with Brookfield Asset Management. Brookfield assumed the role of TerraForm Power’s sponsor and became the controlling shareholder in a transaction with an implied total enterprise value of $6.6 billion. Named a “Standout” for “Innovation in Legal Expertise: Managing Complexity and Scale” by The Financial Times (2017).
- Tres Mesas Wind Project. Advised GBM Infraestructura and Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners in the acquisition of all of the equity interest of Oak Creek, a Marubeni subsidiary, in the Tres Mesas wind project under development in Mexico. The deal was named “Latin America Wind Deal of the Year” by IJ Global in 2015.
- Chaglla Hydropower. Advised a consortium led by China Three Gorges, which included Hubei Energy Group, ACE Investment Fund II LP and CNIC, in its proposed $1.39 billion acquisition of Empresa de Generación Huallaga from Odebrecht Energia del Perú and Odebrecht Energía. The transaction was awarded Latin Lawyer’s “Banking and Finance Deal of the Year” (2019) and International Tax Review Americas Awards’ “Impact Deal of the Year” (2019).
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. Advised CPPIB in its C$1.75 billion acquisition from Enbridge Inc. of 49% of Enbridge’s interests in select North American (Canada and U.S.) onshore renewable power assets, as well as 49% of Enbridge’s interests in two German offshore wind projects. Concurrently, CPPIB and Enbridge entered into an agreement whereby the two parties formed a 50-50 joint venture to pursue future European offshore wind projects.
- Abengoa Restructuring. Advised the Co-ordinating Committee of Creditors, on the global restructuring of Abengoa, a Spanish renewables company operating across Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, which has a debt load of approximately €20 billion – “Legal Adviser of the Year, 2017,” Institute for Financial Turnaround.
- European Wind Farms. Advised ACE Investment Fund (Hong Kong) in connection with its €392 million acquisition of 49% of the equity interest in, and 49% of the loans owed by, EDP’s Italian and Polish wind farm project companies
- Tuas Power. Advised China Huaneng Group (China) in its $3.04 billion privatization and acquisition of Tuas Power (Singapore)
- Million Solar Homes Leasing. Advised the lenders to a consumer solar panel business in Tanzania, bringing power supply to a significant number of off-grid rural homes and communities