Renata Hesse in Conversation With Leading Competition Enforcers at the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting 2019
March 26-29, 2019
Washington, District of Columbia
co-chaired the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law’s 67th Antitrust Law Spring Meeting: Where Competition and Consumer Protection Meet on March 26-29 in Washington, D.C.
In addition to serving as co-chair, Renata acted as questioner for the March 29 “Enforcers Roundtable,” a conversation with leading competition
authorities about their enforcement priorities and this year’s newsworthy transactions, investigations and cases. Speakers in this session were:
- The Honorable Makan Delrahim, Assistant Attorney General at the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division;
- Sarah Oxenham Allen, chair of the Multistate Antitrust Task Force at the National Association of Attorneys General;
- Alejandra Palacios Prieto, president of the Comisión Federal de Competencia Económica (COFECE);
- The Honorable Joseph J. Simons, chairman of the Federal Trade Commission;
- Rod Sims, chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission; and
- Margrethe Vestager, vice president and commissioner at DG Competition, European Commission.
S&C partners also spoke at the Spring Meeting during the below sessions:
- “International Merger Control: What You Need to Know,” March 27 (Juan Rodriguez)
- “Fundamentals—Antitrust IP,” March 28 (Dustin Guzior)
- “Money Isn’t Everything: Non-Price Merger Effects,” March 28 (Joe Matelis)
- “Mock Trial,” March 28 (Adam Paris)
On March 26, Renata also spoke at GCR Live 4th Annual Cartels
in Washington, D.C., on no-poach agreements and other labor market concerns.
’s practice focuses on antitrust counseling, cartels and merger clearance. Renata is frequently recognized as a leading and influential antitrust lawyer, with a particular emphasis on the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property matters in high-tech industries. Renata joined Sullivan & Cromwell following a distinguished career in government, including leading the Antitrust Division at the Department of Justice twice as Acting Assistant Attorney General and serving that division for more than 15 years. Learn more about Renata
, and tune in for the three-part antitrust series of our S&C Critical Insights podcast
to hear her thoughts on the latest antitrust developments at the DOJ and FTC.
Sullivan & Cromwell’s global Antitrust Group
features a team of lawyers combining the senior government and distinguished private practice experience necessary to address the most complex U.S. and European (both EU and national level) competition matters. Our lawyers have worked with antitrust and competition law enforcement agencies at the highest levels across Asia, Europe, Australia and Latin America. This global geographic reach enables us to adeptly advise clients in cross-border matters where quick and consistent representation has become even more crucial because of increased cooperation among government authorities. Learn more about our global Antitrust law practice