S&C's Credit & Leveraged Finance lawyers regularly work with private equity sponsors on strategic transactions worldwide. The practice draws upon the integrated resources and efforts of S&C's offices, taking advantage of the Firm's global capabilities to advise private equity firms on their most important and complex financing transactions.
Our clients benefit from a number of our practice's core strengths:
Driving financing process to secure favorable terms
Our team works closely with sponsors and borrowers to develop the financing structure and strategy, including reviewing financing alternatives and managing the financing process to obtain “certain funds” commitments from banks and other funding sources on favorable terms. We work closely with sponsors and borrowers to efficiently manage the financing process and help reduce financing-related costs.
S&C's extensive M&A experience allows us to provide the best possible advice, always guided by our clients' commercial objectives. Our lawyers' unparalleled experience in M&A includes working with financial sponsor deal technologies, such as equity and debt commitment letters and related conditionality and remedies, as well as reps and warranties insurance.
Deep commercial perspective
We recognize that a deep understanding of our clients' businesses and financing needs is critical to the success of private equity transactions. S&C's expertise across all debt and equity products for private equity transactions is unmatched.
S&C’s experience advising private equity sponsors is extensive and includes advising on the following selected transactions:
Ares Management (U.S.) its $640 million acquisition financing for its strategic partnership with DuPage Medical Group.
- Bumble Bee Foods (U.S.), a portfolio company of Lion Capital, in connection with its $850 million debt refinancing, involving obtaining a new $650 million senior secured term loan and amending and restating its existing $200 million ABL credit facility, Consumer Staples Deal of the Year by The M&A Advisor.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (Canada), OMERS Infrastructure Management (Canada) and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (Canada) on the $1.3 billion financing for their acquisition of Chicago Skyway toll road from Cintra and Macquarie.
- Deerfield Management (U.S.) as senior secured creditor, DIP lender and plan sponsor in the Chapter 11 cases of Endologix; and as secured lender and stalking horse bidder in the Chapter 11 cases of Melinta Therapeutics.
- FountainVest, Carlyle, CITIC Capital and China Everbright (China, U.S.) in the $1.5 billion secured loan facility for the $3.7 billion acquisition of Focus Media Holding Limited.
- Lion Capital LLP (U.K.) as stalking horse bidder and DIP provider in connection with the bankruptcy of John Varvatos Enterprises.
- Lion Capital LLP (U.K.) and Serruya Private Equity (Canada) in their financing for the acquisition of GFG Holding, Inc.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (Canada) its $610 million acquisition financing acquisition of PODS.
- Rhône Capital LLC (U.S.) in its €900 million bank financing and high-yield bond issue to finance its acquisition of Evonik Carbon; in its $365 million debt financing related to its definitive agreement and plan of merger to acquire Fogo de Chão, Inc.; and in $1 billion of multi-jurisdictional asset-based revolving and term loan facilities for its acquisition of CSM NV’s bakery business.
- Versa Capital Management (U.S.) in the dividend recapitalization of its portfolio company Avenue Stores.