The Firm takes a multidisciplinary approach to mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of—and investments in—the full range of financial services companies and businesses. S&C's financial services lawyers work seamlessly in M&A and strategic matters across the banking, asset management, broker-dealer, exchange, financial technology, specialty finance and insurance sectors. The Firm has advised on some of the most complex and innovative transactions in all of these industry segments.
S&C's financial services lawyers deliver creativity, teamwork and collaboration for clients in planning and executing transactions. S&C works on M&A and other strategic assignments of all sizes with the full commitment of the Firm's resources.
The Firm's regulatory and enforcement expertise is a natural complement to its M&A practice. Clients executing M&A transactions in today's economic landscape rely on the Firm to navigate the transaction, including regulatory obstacles, and manage closing and post-closing risk. This last element has become even more critical to the success of the Firm's clients as the regulatory environment has caused problems for acquirors in relation to the legacy issues of the institutions and assets they acquire.
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSSelected Sullivan & Cromwell financial services mergers and acquisitions experience includes representing:
- American International Group in its $3.4 billion sale of United Guaranty Corporation to Arch Capital Group
- Afsaneh M. Beschloss, CEO and Founder of The RockCreek Group, in connection with RockCreek management’s acquisition of the 65% of the firm owned by Wells Fargo, bringing management’s total ownership to 100%
- Axioma in its $850 million acquisition by Deutsche Börse
- The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited in its acquisition of ABN AMRO (Channel Islands) Limited from ABN AMRO Bank N.VI.
- The Bank of Nova Scotia in its $550 million sale of its operations in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to Oriental Bank, a subsidiary of OFG Bancorp
- CIT Group in its $1 billion acquisition of Mutual of Omaha Bank
- CIT Group and OneWest Bank as joint regulatory counsel in connection with CIT Group’s $3.4 billion merger with IMB Holdco
- Colony NorthStar in its $475 million sale of The Townsend Group to Aon
- Columbia Banking System in its $644.1 million merger with Pacific Continental Corporation
- EverBank Financial Corp in its $2.5 billion acquisition by Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America
- FirstMerit Corporation in its $3.4 billion acquisition by Huntington Bancshares
- First Horizon in its $3.9 billion merger with IBERIABANK and its $2.2 billion acquisition of Capital Bank Financial
- First Midwest Bancorp in its acquisition of Northern States Financial Corporation and its $365 million acquisition of Standard Bancshares, Inc.
- First Niagara in its $4.1 billion acquisition by KeyCorp
- Fiserv in its $22 billion acquisition of First Data Corporation
- Grandpoint Capital in its $641.2 million merger with Pacific Premier Bancorp, Inc.
- Great-West Lifeco in connection with its subsidiary Empower Retirement’s acquisition of Personal Capital Corporation
- Genworth Financial in its $1.8 billion sale of its majority interest in Genworth MI Canada to Brookfield Business Partners in connection with Genworth Financial’s $2.7 billion pending acquisition by China Oceanwide Holdings
- KCG Holdings in its $1.4 billion acquisition by Virtu Financial
- Ladenburg Thalmann in its $1.3 billion acquisition by Advisor Group
- LendingClub in its $185 million acquisition of Radius Bancorp and its wholly owned subsidiary Radius Bank, the first announced example of a U.S. FinTech acquiring a bank
- M&T Bank in its a definitive agreement with People’s United under which M&T will acquire People’s United in an all-stock transaction
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in its $2.9 billion acquisition of nine subsidiaries of Colonial First State Group Limited
- NorthStar Asset Management Group in its $6 billion merger of equals with Colony Capital and NorthStar Realty Finance
- Opus Bank in its $1.0 billion acquisition by Pacific Premier Bancorp
- PacWest Bancorp in its $705 million merger with CU Bancorp
- Piper Jaffray in its $485 million acquisition of Sandler O’Neil and its acquisition of The Valence Group
- Rabobank in its $2.1 billion sale of Rabobank, N.A. to Mechanics Bank
- Royal Bank of Canada in its $5.4 billion acquisition of City National Corporation
- Scottrade in its $4.2 billion acquisition by TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation and TD Bank
- State Street in its $2.6 billion acquisition of Charles River Systems
- SunTrust Bank in its $66 billion merger of equals with BB&T Corporation, the largest bank merger since 2004
- Tokio Marine Holdings in its $3.1 billion acquisition of Privilege Underwriters and its subsidiaries (“Pure Group”)
- Transactis in its acquisition by MasterCard
- United Financial Bancorp in its $724 million acquisition by People's United Financial
- U.S. Bancorp in its $690 million sale of its third-party ATM and Debit Servicing business to Fiserv