Tim Emmerson is Of Counsel to the Firm’s European M&A practice. He has many years' experience of advising corporate and private equity clients, investment banks and hedge funds on M&A, capital markets, debt finance and securities law matters. He has advised on a significant number of prominent corporate transactions in the United Kingdom and is recognised as a leading M&A lawyer by numerous legal guides, including Chambers Global
, Chambers UK
, The Legal 500 United Kingdom
and Super Lawyers
. He is also recognised as a market leader by IFLR1000
and ranked in the Top 100 2014 Super Lawyers
- Public M&A: The takeover of Mecom Group by DPG; the takeover of Aegis by Dentsu; CGI on its takeover of Logica; the takeovers of Brit Insurance by Apollo Management and CVC Capital Partners; and the takeover of Abbot Group by First Reserve; offers or offer proposals relating to Vodafone, Misys, Rank Group, Charter Group, Cadbury, Expro International, Benfield Insurance, Marks & Spencer, ITV, J Sainsbury, Albright & Wilson, BAA, Arcelor, the London Stock Exchange (first by Deutsche Boerse and later by Macquarie), Lasmo, Manchester United, Courtaulds, Chelsfield, Blue Circle, BET, P&O Ports, Brixton Estates, Lloyds Chemists, Gordon Russell, Ennemix and Freeserve.
- Private M&A: Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners in its sale of Aero 1 Global & International S.à.r.l. to Atlantia; the sale of controlling interest in Rothesay Life by Goldman Sachs; the sale of TNT Post by Post NL; the equity investment in DONG Energy by Goldman Sachs funds; the acquisition of Hastings Insurance by Goldman Sachs private equity funds; the acquisition of GE’s power systems business by APR Energy; the management buyout of Iceland Foods (backed by Brait Investments and Lord Graham Kirkland); Morgan Stanley’s sale of its interest in ICE (IntercontinentalExchange) to the London Stock Exchange; the acquisition by Macquarie of Stagecoach’s Red London Bus Business; Lightyear’s purchase of Cooper Gay insurance; Luqman Arnold’s proposal to acquire and run the distressed Northern Rock; the sale by Rio Tinto of its global packaging businesses; the acquisition by Goldman Sachs PIA of Ontex from Candover Investments and of interests in Pret à Manger and Barrie & Hibbert; the sale of Bass Brewers by Bass to Interbrew; the sale by United Business Media of SDN to ITV; the sale of Lloyd’s of London Press by Lloyd’s; the sale by Rank of Rank-Xerox; the sale by AMP of its back-office business to BNP; the sale by ADT of British Car Auctions; the sale by P&O of P&O European Transport to Wincanton; the sale of Sutcliffe Catering to Compass; the acquisition of BDDP by GGT; the acquisition by UBS of GAM; and the acquisition of Clarke Homes by Westbury from BICC.
- Mergers and Reconstructions: The mergers of Thomas Cook with MyTravel, of Anglo American with Minorco and of British Steel with Hoogovens; and the reconstructions of the Rank Group, Sutcliffe Speakman, Lloyd’s of London, Energis, Queen’s Moat and Concordia Bus.
- IPOs and Equity Offering: The IPOs of Allied Minds, Ontex, Brit Insurance, Countrywide, Genel Energy, Railtrack, Orange, Thomson Travel, McBride, ClinPhone, HMV, Newcastle United, MacDonald Hotels, SGB, Martins the Newsagents, Foster’s Brewing and the U.K. Water Industry; as well as major secondary offerings of equity for Kingfisher, HBOS and Liberty International and a variety of selective capital injections into U.K.-listed companies.
- Other assignments: including advising: Rothschild in relation to Bumi plc; a leading European investment bank on its policy on cash-settled derivatives; Barclays Bank in relation to governance aspects of its acquisition of a shareholding in BlackRock; the Formula One motor racing teams on their racing agreements with Formula One Group; prospective investors in Leeds United; and Sainsbury Family interests in relation to J Sainsbury. Tim has also periodically advised the U.K. Takeover Panel on various changes to the Takeover Code.