Shari D. LeventhalOf Counsel
Prior to joining Sullivan & Cromwell, Ms. Leventhal spent 18 years with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s Legal Group where she most recently served as the Deputy General Counsel and Senior Vice President responsible for the Enforcement, Litigation, and Investigations Division. In that role, she represented the New York Fed in many complex enforcement and litigation matters. Ms. Leventhal was involved in numerous multi-agency, cross-border enforcement investigations and resolutions relating to violations of OFAC sanctions and the Bank Secrecy Act, money laundering, consumer compliance, the FX market, LIBOR, and balance sheet manipulation.
From 1992-1998, Ms. Leventhal served as an Assistant United States Attorney with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York.
Ms. Leventhal regularly lectures on bank regulation and enforcement, money laundering issues, financial crimes, cross-border payments, investigative techniques, and related matters to audiences from the American Banking Association, the U.S. Treasury Department, the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice, the Federal Reserve System, foreign central banks, trade associations, and international monetary authorities.
Ms. Leventhal is a member of the American Bar Association’s National White Collar Crime Section, the Eastern District Association, and the Federal Bar Council.
- Represented banks before the Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and New York Department of Financial Services in civil money penalty and other enforcement actions involving anti-money laundering, OFAC sanctions, and other compliance and safety and soundness issues.
- Advised foreign banking organizations in connection with action plans to remediate weaknesses in their Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering and OFAC Sanctions compliance programs in response to enforcement actions issued by the Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and New York State Department of Financial Services.
- Represented UBS in connection with formal enforcement actions issued by the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency concerning its Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering compliance programs.
- Represented multiple banks in connection with notices issued by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.
- Advised multiple banks on compliance with the Bank Secrecy Act and OFAC sanctions, including with respect to Suspicious Activity monitoring and reporting, notices of voluntary self-disclosure to OFAC, and compliance with the Travel Rule.
- Represented global systemically important financial institutions in investigations conducted and enforcement actions brought by the Federal Reserve, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for unsafe and unsound practices, unfair or deceptive practices, and violations of consumer finance regulations.