Samuel W. SeymourOf Counsel
Sam Seymour is a member of Sullivan & Cromwell’s Criminal Defense and Investigations Group. He concentrates in white-collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement matters and internal investigations.
Mr. Seymour has represented clients in many high-profile investigations involving allegations of accounting fraud, securities fraud, foreign bribery, price fixing, economic sanctions violations, money laundering and obstruction of justice. He represents individuals and institutions in enforcement matters across a broad range of financial and industrial business sectors worldwide.
Mr. Seymour’s practice also encompasses commercial litigation and arbitration matters, including derivative cases, shareholder actions and complex contract disputes.
Widely recognized for his professional achievements, Mr. Seymour has held leadership positions in numerous organizations serving the legal and educational communities. Mr. Seymour served as President of the New York City Bar Association (2010-2012). He is currently Chair of the Board of the Practising Law Institute.
Mr. Seymour is a frequent speaker on legal enforcement issues, and authored the chapter “The Interplay Between Commercial Litigation and Criminal Proceedings” in the treatise Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, Third Edition.
Mr. Seymour served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney and deputy chief appellate attorney in the Southern District of New York from 1988 through 1991.
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
Widely recognized for his professional achievements, Mr. Seymour is a member of numerous organizations serving the legal and educational communities.
Educational and Public Service
- Columbia Law School – Board of Visitors
- Columbia Law School – Associate in Law. Taught trial advocacy seminar (1998-2004)
- Packer Collegiate Institute – Trustee (2001-2010) and former Board Chair
- Office of the Appellate Defender – Director (1990-2010)
- Sylvester Manor Educational Farm, Inc. (Shelter Island, NY) – Director (2011-2018)
- Practising Law Institute – Chair of the Board of Trustees
- New York City Riot Relief Fund – Trustee
- Brooklyn Historical Society – Trustee
- American College of Sofia (Bulgaria) – Trustee
- New York City Bar Association – President (2010-2012), former Vice President and Chair of Executive Committee
- Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman's Committee on Non-Lawyers and the Justice Gap – Member
- New York Council of Defense Lawyers – Member
- American Law Institute – Member
- First Department Disciplinary Committee (2006-2010)
- New York City Bar Justice Center, Board Chair (2006-2009)
Rankings and Recognitions
- Brooklyn Volunteer Lawyers Project, Dedication to Justice Award (2015)
- Federal Bar Council, Whitney North Seymour Award, for public service by a private practitioner (2015)
- New York County Lawyers' Association, President’s Medal (2014), for authorship of Commercial Litigation Treatise
- Robert M. Morgenthau Award, Police Athletic League, for distinguished legal career (2009)
- Milton S. Gould Award for Outstanding Oral Advocacy – Office of the Appellate Defender (2008)
- John J. McCloy Award - Fund for Modern Courts (2007)
- Expert Guides – recognized in White Collar Crime
- Handled the resolution of government investigations for The Bank of New York, Spiegel, Inc., UBS, Bankers Trust Company, Statoil ASA, Moody’s Investors Service, Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., HSBC, Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, ANZ Bank, Deutsche Bank, Morgan Crucible plc, Lloyds TSB Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, U.S. Bancorp, ABN AMRO and Wachovia Bank, among many others
- Served as lead trial counsel in 15 criminal jury trials in federal courts. Argued numerous appeals in the Second Circuit
- Conducted numerous internal investigations for corporations, financial institutions and audit committees