Robert M. SchleinPartner
Rob Schlein is Managing Partner of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP’s Commercial Real Estate Group and is co-Managing Partner of the Firm’s global General Practice Group. Mr. Schlein was co-Managing Partner of Sullivan & Cromwell’s London office from 2008 to 2011.
Mr. Schlein has a broad-based multinational transactional practice. He advises private equity funds, companies and other investors with respect to a wide variety of real estate, infrastructure-related and other asset-backed transactions in the United States, Europe and Asia, including senior and mezzanine debt financings, joint ventures, leveraged buyouts, mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and commercial condominium matters. Mr. Schlein also has worked extensively on the formation and fund-raising activities of numerous real estate-related private equity and debt funds, managed accounts and other investment vehicles.
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSMr. Schlein’s recent transactional work includes representation of:
- KKR & Co. L.P. in connection with its purchase of a 343,000 square foot office condominium unit in 30 Hudson Yards
- Tishman Speyer in connection with various mortgage loan financings, construction loan financings, separate account arrangements and other transactional matters
- Related Fund Management, LLC in connection with a technology-related real estate investment
- Qatar Investment Authority in connection with its investment in a U.S. REIT and various real estate joint venture arrangements
- Normandy Real Estate Partners in connection with its acquisition of a commercial condominium unit in the ABC Carpet & Home building
- CIM Group in connection with multiple mortgage loan financings and refinancings and acquisition/joint venture transactions
- Dune Real Estate Partners in connection with its GP/management company arrangements
- Amazon.com in its $13.7 billion acquisition of Whole Foods
- founders/sponsors in connection with the formation of a €1 billion European real estate debt fund
- NTT Urban Development Corporation in multiple acquisitions of interests in office properties in Boston, New York City and Washington, D.C. and related joint venture and mortgage loan financing arrangements
- a family office in connection with its co-investment arrangements with major private equity funds
- a family office in its acquisition of a 96-room luxury resort in the Caribbean
- a Chinese insurance company in connection with its purchase of the office condominium unit in a prime Midtown Manhattan office building
- private investors in connection with three separate Freddie Mac mortgage loan financings of multi-family properties ($325 million, $186 million and $160 million)
- Frank McCourt in the $2.15 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers professional baseball team to Guggenheim Baseball Management
- The St. Joe Company in the $565 million sale of 382,834 acres of non-strategic timberland and rural land in Northwest Florida
- ING Group in the $1 billion sale of the business and operations of ING Real Estate Investment Management in the United States, Europe and Asia
- Songbird Estates plc (Canary Wharf) in its £800 million debt restructuring and recapitalization
- Goldman Sachs’ Real Estate PIA in connection with the formation of a U.K. student housing platform and numerous acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures in Europe and the U.S.
- Goldman Sachs’ Infrastructure Funds in connection with joint venture arrangements relating to its investments in energy infrastructure businesses, gas grids and ports, as well as in several related mezzanine debt investments