Rita O’Neill is a partner in the General Practice Group and has a broad-based practice that includes advising clients on mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings, and providing general corporate advice on disclosure and governance. She has advised clients in a wide range of industries, including apparel, financial institutions, healthcare and life sciences, semiconductors, telecommunications and transportation.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States in 2014 for Private Equity Buyouts and Capital Markets: equity offerings - advice to issuers and managers.
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by IFLR1000 (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal in 2014 as one of the "Women Making a Difference" in Los Angeles.
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers in 2014.
- Named among the Daily Journal’s Top Women Lawyers of 2013. The list recognizes women lawyers in California who are at the top of their practice
Pro Bono Experience
- Various pro bono matters including the representation of The Valor Academy, a charter school in North Hollywood, California, in its corporate formation, governance and application to the Internal Revenue Service for tax-exempt status
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association Business Law Section
- Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Women in M&A Task Force (Vice Chair)
- Market Trends Subcommittee – 2015 Strategic Buyer/Public Target Study Working Group (Member)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Royal Philips in connection with its participation in a $45 million private placement by Corindus Vascular Robotics of its common stock and in its acquisitions of Wellcentive and Volcano Corporation
- CapGen Capital Group III LP in connection with the sale of its 6,210,000 shares in Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida, the parent company of Seacoast National Bank, as part of Seacoast Banking’s previously announced public offering of 8,912,500 shares of its common stock
- SPO Advisory Corp. in its agreement with Liberty Media to invest a cumulative $1.55 billion in subscriptions for newly issued shares of Series C Liberty Media common stock in connection with Liberty’s acquisition of Formula 1
- Lion Capital LLP in its acquisition of a minority interest in Authentic Brands Group from certain of Authentic Brand’s existing equityholders
- 1st Century Bancshares, Inc. in its acquisition by Midland Financial Co.
- FilmYard Holdings, parent company of MIRAMAX, in MIRAMAX’s acquisition by beIN MEDIA GROUP
- A fund managed by the Private Equity Group of Ares Management, L.P. in its acquisition of a significant stake in American Tire Distributors, Inc.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its acquisition of PODS and in its acquisition of SeaCube Container Leasing Ltd
- Versa Capital Management, LLC in connection with the acquisition of Sport Chalet, Inc. by Vestis Retail Group, which is owned by funds advised by Versa; Versa and Lubert-Adler in their acquisition of Central Parking; and Versa in the sale of Central Parking to Standard Parking
- Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Ares Management LLC and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board in their acquisition of CPG International Inc. by their affiliated funds
- Billabong in its sale of a 51.5% interest in Nixon to an investor group including Trilantic Capital Partners and senior management of Nixon
- the underwriters in an offering by City National Corporation of depositary shares representing preferred stock and the initial purchasers in an offering by City National Bank of subordinated debt
- the underwriters in the initial public offering and follow-on offering of Oaktree Capital Management
- AT&T in its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom and its completed acquisition of Centennial Communications
- the financial advisers in the acquisition of Citadel Broadcasting by Cumulus Media
- CVC Capital Partners in its 2010 sale of a 42.5% stake in Univar to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and Univar in its proposed initial public offering, which was postponed in favor of the sale to CD&R
- NXP B.V. in its disposition of its television systems and set-top box business lines to Trident Microsystems, its strategic alliance with Virage Logic Corporation, its acquisition of GloNav, Inc. and its acquisition of certain assets of Conexant Systems, Inc.
- Hynix Semiconductors in its acquisition from Micron Technology of the remaining interests in their China-based joint venture, Hynix-Numonyx Semiconductor
- the underwriters in the initial public offering and follow-on offerings of PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust
- Collective Brands (formerly known as Payless ShoeSource) in its acquisition of The Stride Rite Corporation
- Angiotech Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of American Medical Instruments and its entry into a secured term loan and revolving credit facility
- both lenders and borrowers with respect to the entry into and ongoing compliance with acquisition and working capital credit facilities