Rita O’Neill is a partner in the General Practice Group and has a broad-based practice that includes advising clients on mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings, and providing general corporate advice on disclosure and governance. She has advised clients in a wide range of industries, including apparel, financial institutions, healthcare and life sciences, semiconductors, telecommunications and transportation.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Named among the Daily Journal’s Top Women Lawyers of 2017. The list recognizes women lawyers in California who are at the top of their practice.
- Named among Profiles in Diversity Journal’s 2017 Women Worth Watching
- Recognized as a Rising Star by IFLR1000 (2014-2017)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States in 2014 for Private Equity Buyouts and Capital markets: equity offerings – advice to issuers and managers
- Recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal in 2014 as one of the "Women Making a Difference" in Los Angeles
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
- Member of S&C’s Women’s Initiative Committee and Vice Chair of the ABA’s Women in M&A Task Force
- Chair of the ABA’s inaugural Deal Points Study on Carveout Transactions, which will focus on sales of business lines or divisions by public company sellers
- Active provider of pro bono legal services, including the representation of The Valor Academy, a charter school in North Hollywood, California, and The Rescue Team, an organization formed to assist shelter and stray animals, in their corporate formation, governance and application to the Internal Revenue Service for tax-exempt status; and foster care adoptions and foster youth benefits cases in cooperation with The Alliance for Childrens’ Rights
- SPO Partners in the sale of its aggregates business, Aggregates USA LLC, to Vulcan Materials Company for $900 million in cash (pending)
- Royal Philips in its acquisitions of Respiratory Technologies (pending), Wellcentive and Volcano Corporation and in connection with its participation in a private placement by Corindus Vascular Robotics of its common stock
- CapGen Capital Group VI LP, a 22% holder of Xenith Bankshares, in connection with Xenith’s acquisition by Union Bankshares (pending)
- CapGen Capital Group III LP in connection with the sale of its 6,210,000 shares in Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida, the parent company of Seacoast National Bank, as part of Seacoast Banking’s previously announced public offering of 8,912,500 shares of its common stock
- SPO Advisory Corp. in its agreement with Liberty Media to invest a cumulative $1.55 billion in subscriptions for newly issued shares of Series C Liberty Media common stock in connection with Liberty’s acquisition of Formula 1
- Lion Capital LLP in its acquisition of a minority interest in Authentic Brands Group from certain of Authentic Brand’s existing shareholders
- 1st Century Bancshares, Inc. in its acquisition by Midland Financial Co.
- FilmYard Holdings, parent company of MIRAMAX, in MIRAMAX’s acquisition by beIN MEDIA GROUP
- Tinicum Capital Partners II, L.P. in its sale of Enesco, LLC to Balmoral Funds
- A fund managed by the Private Equity Group of Ares Management, L.P. in its acquisition of a significant stake in American Tire Distributors, Inc.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its acquisition of PODS and in its acquisition of SeaCube Container Leasing Ltd
- Versa Capital Management, LLC in connection with the acquisition of Sport Chalet, Inc. by Vestis Retail Group, which is owned by funds advised by Versa; Versa and Lubert-Adler in their acquisition of Central Parking; and Versa in the sale of Central Parking to Standard Parking
- Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Ares Management LLC and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board in their acquisition of CPG International Inc. by their affiliated funds
- Billabong in its sale of a 51.5% interest in Nixon to an investor group including Trilantic Capital Partners and senior management of Nixon
- the underwriters in the initial public offering and follow-on offering of Oaktree Capital Management
- AT&T in its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom and its completed acquisition of Centennial Communications
- the financial advisers in the acquisition of Citadel Broadcasting by Cumulus Media
- CVC Capital Partners in its 2010 sale of a 42.5% stake in Univar to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and Univar in its proposed initial public offering, which was postponed in favor of the sale to CD&R
- NXP B.V. in its disposition of its television systems and set-top box business lines to Trident Microsystems, its strategic alliance with Virage Logic Corporation, its acquisition of GloNav, Inc. and its acquisition of certain assets of Conexant Systems, Inc.
- Hynix Semiconductors in its acquisition from Micron Technology of the remaining interests in their China-based joint venture, Hynix-Numonyx Semiconductor
- the underwriters in the initial public offering and follow-on offerings of PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust
- Collective Brands (then known as Payless ShoeSource) in its acquisition of The Stride Rite Corporation
- the underwriters in the follow-on offering of Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation
- Angiotech Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of American Medical Instruments and its entry into a secured term loan and revolving credit facility
- Both lenders and borrowers with respect to the entry into and ongoing compliance with acquisition and working capital credit facilities