Richard G. AsthalterSenior Counsel
Richard Asthalter joined Sullivan & Cromwell in 1971, was a partner from 1980 to 2008 and became senior counsel in 2011. He was managing partner of the Firm's Paris Office between 1981 and 2004. Mr. Asthalter has been a member of the Firm's Global Project Finance Group since 1985. He specializes in capital markets transactions, project development and finance and international mergers and acquisitions.
Rankings and Recognitions
- European Legal Experts – Corporate/M&A (2010, 2008), Banking & Finance (2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2002), Corporate and Commercial (2007, 2006, 2005, 2004)
- PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook – M&A and Corporate Finance (2003-2004, 2002-2003, 2001-2002)
- PLC Global Counsel Mergers & Acquisitions Handbook – (2004-2005, 2003-2004, 2002, 2001)
- Named Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur in 1999 for his contribution to the economic development of France and to French-American relations
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSCapital Markets/Securities Transactions
- Represented issuers and investment banks in connection with the offering of a wide variety of debt and equity securities in the international capital markets;
- Privatizations of Elf Aquitaine, Pechiney, Snecma and SANEF, among others;
- Represented the underwriters in international share offerings, including rights offerings, by numerous companies including Elf Aquitaine, JC Decaux, Veolia Environnement and Scor;
- Recently represented the banks in the financing of the acquisition of the French real estate company, Gecina, by Metrovacesa, including the refinancing of a portion of that debt by a rights offering in the international markets by Metrovacesa; and
- Is the principal U.S. securities counsel to Total and recently represented Total in its spin-off of its chemical subsidiary, Arkema.
- Acted as partner-in-charge of the firm's representation of the LAMCO Joint Venture and BONG Mining Company in Liberia and represented the lending banks in connection with a paper mill project in Colombia;
- Acted for The Walt Disney Company in connection with the first phase of the project financing for Euro Disneyland;
- Headed an iron ore export terminal project in Sepetiba, Brazil, where the firm represented Ferteco Mineraçao S.A. and its German shareholders; and
- Represented banks and other financial institutions in a number of real estate projects in the Gulf and the sponsors in the early stages of a power project in the region.
- Advised Société Générale in its proposed acquisition of Banque Paribas and its defense against the attempted takeover by Banque Nationale de Paris;
- Represented Coflexip in its acquisition of Stena Offshore and its takeover by Technip; and
- Advised Total in its acquisition of the Argentine assets of Gener.