Pavan C. SurapaneniPartner
Sports Real Estate
- New York Football Giants in its financing of MetLife Stadium.
- Giants Development Services (an affiliate of the San Francisco Giants) in connection with its 28-acre, mixed-used development adjacent to Oracle Park.
- Frank McCourt in various matters relating to the parking lots surrounding Dodgers Stadium and associated joint venture with affiliates of the Dodgers.
- Madison Square Garden in various arena matters, including a bid to redevelop Nassau Coliseum.
- Joe Tsai in connection with the 2018 renegotiation of the Brooklyn Nets’ arena license at the Barclays Center and his subsequent 2019 acquisition of the arena.
- Delaware Life Insurance Company and others as lenders to the owners of Mammoth Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort and other ski resorts.
- Atlanta Hawks in connection with the development of The Centennial Yards in downtown Atlanta.
- The San Diego Padres in connection with the potential development of Tailgate Park adjacent to Petco Stadium.
- UBS in connection with its 20-year naming rights agreement for UBS Arena, the arena being constructed at Belmont Park which is expected to become the new home of the New York Islanders.
- ATL Investco in the acquisition of the Atlanta Hawks.
- Frank McCourt in the $2.15 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Joe Tsai in his acquisition of a 49% interest in the Brooklyn Nets and his subsequent purchase of the remaining 51%.
- MLB Advanced Media in its formation of BAMTech and the 2016 and 2017 investments in BAMTech by The Walt Disney Company.
- BAMTech in its formation of BAMTech Europe and related partnership with Discovery Communications.
- c0ntact gaming in its acquisition of the Paris franchise in the newly created Call of Duty League.
- DM Esports in its agreement to join The Overwatch League as the owner of an expansion franchise in Paris.
- Joe Tsai in his acquisition of the New York Liberty.
- Various minority investors in acquisitions of interests in the New York Yankees, the Los Angeles Football Club, the Nashville SC and the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Cablevision in its spin-off of Madison Square Garden and related negotiations with the NHL and the NBA.
Real Estate M&A and Capital Markets
- Whitehall Street Real Estate Funds in both its $1.475 billion CMBS, mezzanine and preferred recapitalization of a 33-state hotel portfolio and its $975 million refinancing, and subsequent $1.925 billion sale to Hospitality Investors Trust, of the Equity Inns lodging portfolio.
- Highgate Hotels L.P. in its sale of a partnership interest to Trilantic Capital Partners.
- Bellco Capital in its formation of Breakthrough Properties, a joint venture with Tishman Speyer to acquire, develop and operate life science properties.
- Pershing Square and Fairholme in their $3.9 billion investment in General Growth Properties.
- Pritzker Family Beneficiaries in connection with their private equity investment arm Geolo Capital and its portfolio company Commune Hotels & Resorts merger with Destination Hotels.
- Lexington Building Co. in its $1.775 billion sale of the Crown Building at 730 Fifth Avenue in New York to General Growth Properties and Jeff Sutton.
- Vornado Realty Trust in the $1.3 billion acquisition of 650 Madison Avenue, and in numerous other acquisitions, joint ventures and permanent, construction and land financings.
- Tishman Speyer in connection with its joint venture for the development of a $1.0 billion plus residential project in San Francisco’s Central SoMa neighborhood.
- GF Tampa in its acquisition of community infrastructure bonds for a master-planned mixed-use community in Florida and its subsequent acquisition of an equity interest in the developer.
Pavan is a co-chair of the Corporate Subcommittee of the New York City Bar Sports Law Committee, the vice-chair of the Board of Visitors at Columbia’s School of General Studies, a director of Saving Teens in Crisis Collaborative and a director of the American Alpine Club. In 2018, Pavan was named a fellow by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and, in 2017, he was a fellow in the New York City Bar Association’s Diversity Bar Fellowship Program. He is also a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee and is partner adviser to, and former Co-Head of, its Asian Associates Network.