Ms. Sawyer has been recognized repeatedly as a leading M&A advisor. For example, in 2014 and 2015, Ms. Sawyer was recognized by Chambers USA as a Corporate M&A “Up and Coming” lawyer. In 2015 she was also named as a “Dealmaker of the Week” by The American Lawyer and a Rising Star by IFLR1000, and was recognized for Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Governance and Compliance, and Business/Corporate by New York Super Lawyers.
In the past twelve months alone, Ms. Sawyer has advised Cablevision in its pending sale to Altice; Cytec in its pending sale to Solvay; UnitedHealth Group in its acquisition of Catamaran; Tokio Marine in its acquisition of HCC; BBA Aviation in its pending acquisition of Landmark Aviation; CONMED in its pending acquisition of SurgiQuest; Diageo in its sale of Bushmills to, and acquisition of Tequila Don Julio from, Casa Cuervo; and Bessemer in the pending Hubbell reclassification transaction, among other matters.
Other selected transactions include:
- Alcon’s independent directors committee in Novartis’s $12.9 billion acquisition of the remaining publicly-held minority interest in Alcon
- CONMED in shareholders’ election of all eight director nominees following its contested 2014 Annual Meeting
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group in its $3.5 billion “going private” acquisition of UnionBanCal
- NewPage Corporation in its $1.4 billion acquisition by Verso Paper
- Ontario Teachers’ in its $2.4 billion acquisition of container terminals from Orient Overseas
Ms. Sawyer also speaks and writes on corporate governance and M&A matters. She has participated in numerous panels for the Practising Law Institute and regularly writes for The M&A Lawyer, The Deal Pipeline and LexisNexis.
- “Five Issues Directors of Consumer and Retail Companies Should Consider Immediately Following a Cybersecurity Breach,” Bloomberg BNA (co-author) (July 2015)
- “Changing Management in the Face of Shareholder Activism: Issues to Consider,” Harvard Business Law Review (March 2015)
- “Are consumer and retail companies more vulnerable to activism?” The Deal Pipeline (July 2014)
- “Deal Protections in Tender Offers,” The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation (co-author) (October 2013)
- “Corporate Governance Feature: 10b5-1 Plans and M&A Transactions,” The M&A Lawyer (July/August 2013)