Matthew G. HurdPartner
In 2019, Hurd has led diverse teams of S&C lawyers in advising:
- Amgen in its pending $13.4 billion acquisition from Celgene of worldwide rights to Otezla® (apremilast) in a transaction mandated by United States antitrust regulators in connection with Celgene’s pending merger with Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- Bayer in its pending $7.6 billion sale of Bayer Animal Health to Elanco, which will create the world’s second largest animal health leader.
- Genomic Health in its $2.8 billion cash and stock combination with Exact Sciences.
- Merck KGaA in its $6.4 billion takeover of Versum Materials – which broke up Versum’s previously agreed merger of equals transaction with Entegris.
Over almost thirty years, Hurd has led S&C’s work on some of the largest business transactions in history, including:
- Bayer’s $66 billion takeover of Monsanto – the largest-ever all-cash M&A transaction in history, the largest-ever takeover of an American company by a foreign acquirer and the largest-ever acquisition by a German company.
- StemCentrx’s $10 billion sale to AbbVie – the largest-ever sale of a private life science company.
- AbbVie’s $55 billion hostile takeover of Shire – which, prior to its termination resulting from Treasury Department rulemaking, would have been the largest-ever takeover by an American company of a European company.
Hurd and other partners continue our century-long practice of advising European industrial companies on cross-border strategic transactions. He has completed almost $100 billion of transactions for Bayer, including the transactions described above, projects involving various public companies and Bayer’s 2014 $14.2 billion acquisition of Merck’s consumer care business – one of the largest carve-out transactions in history. He is the corporate partner in charge of our generations-long engagement by Philips, having led our work on the largest transactions in the company’s long history.
Longtime Advocate for Life Science Innovators
Early in his career, Hurd served as the associate in charge of our work on the 1995 transaction that kicked off the decades-long biopharmaceutical M&A boom. In addition to the StemCentrx matter described above, Hurd led our work on Synageva’s sale to Alexion in a deal representing the largest premium ever paid in a large healthcare transaction. Hurd acted for 68-employee Pharmasset in its $11 billion acquisition by Gilead – the most transformative biotech deal ever completed. Hurd has completed numerous transactions for large, established healthcare companies like Amgen and CVS Health, as well as smaller innovators like Sprout. The duration of his life science career has enabled him to lead teams in acquiring Monsanto twice – in 2000 and 2018.
Hostile Takeovers, Complex Structures and Corporate Crises
Hurd is an expert in the planning and execution of hostile takeovers, such as those of Monsanto, Shire and Versum described above. Accordingly, he acts for numerous public companies and their boards in repelling acquisition proposals, particularly in the life science and general industrial sectors. He is an expert in inversions and various other cyclical transaction structures. Prior to and during the 2008-09 Financial Crisis, Hurd acted on a number of corporate crises, including the Adelphia bankruptcy, the Morgan Stanley rescue and the sale of control of ABC Learning’s U.S. businesses. More recently, he completed novel strategic transactions for both Cyberonics and Impax.
Interests and Passions
In 2000, Hurd co-founded our Silicon Valley practice with two other young partners. Since his 2006 return to New York, he and another partner have mentored hundreds of beginning lawyers through Sullivan & Cromwell’s rigorous associate development program. Hurd is a longtime, vocal advocate for diversity in the legal profession. His philanthropic and cultural interests include service on the boards of the Metropolitan Opera, the International Women’s Health Coalition and Episcopal Charities of the Diocese of New York.
- Recognized as a Law360 Life Sciences MVP (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Named “Dealmaker of the Year” (2017) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Bayer in its acquisition of Monsanto
- Named “Dealmaker of the Year” (2015) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Bayer in its acquisition of the consumer care business of Merck
- Named “Dealmaker of the Week” (May 2015) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Synageva in its acquisition by Alexion
- Named “Dealmaker of the Week” (November 2011) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Pharmasset in its acquisition by Gilead
- Sullivan & Cromwell Named Life Sciences Group of the Year by Law360 (2014, 2017)
- Recognized by The National Law Journal as a Mergers & Acquisitions and Antitrust Trailblazer (2017)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- New York Super Lawyers (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Recognized in The Legal 500 United States in M&A (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Recognized as one of the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America (2011, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2018)