Matthew G. HurdPartner
Twice recognized as “Dealmaker of the Year” by The American Lawyer, Matt Hurd is one of the most experienced healthcare industry lawyers globally. Having served as the associate in charge of our work on the 1995 transaction that kicked off the current pharmaceutical M&A boom, Hurd has spent almost 25 years developing Sullivan & Cromwell’s Healthcare and Life Sciences Practice to its current leadership position among global legal advisors.
Major Healthcare Clients. Hurd’s practice spans all key areas of the global healthcare industry. He leads our representation of:
- Bayer, Germany’s largest company, in its $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto and its sale of glufosinate-ammonium and other selected crop science assets to BASF. He also advised the company on its $14.2 billion acquisition of Merck’s consumer care business, its $2.9 billion acquisition of Algeta ASA, its $1.1 billion acquisition of Conceptus, and its proposed $1.2 billion takeover of Schiff Nutrition.
- CVS Health, North America’s largest integrated pharmacy, having acted for the company in its $12.7 billion acquisition of Omnicare, its $2.1 billion acquisition of Coram, and its large generic pharmaceuticals sourcing joint venture with Cardinal Health.
- Philips, a longtime S&C client, on all of the acquisitions that have repositioned it as one of the most prominent global healthtech innovators. These include its acquisitions of Spectranetics, Electrical Geodesics, Wellcentive, Volcano, Respironics, Stentor, Agilent HSG – among many others.
Hostile Transactions and Special Structures. Hurd is an expert on hostile transactions, inversions and other transactions involving special structures. He has acted for:
- Bayer, in its $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto – the largest ever all-cash takeover of a public company, the largest ever acquisition of an American company by a foreign buyer, and the largest ever M&A transaction by a German company.
- Perrigo, in its transformative $8.6 billion inversion with Elan Pharmaceuticals.
- AbbVie, in its terminated $55 billion acquisition of Shire – which would have been the largest-ever U.S. acquisition of a European company.
- Cyberonics, in its transformative $1.5 billion inversion with Sorin S.p.A. to form LivaNova.
Landmark Transactions for Innovative Companies. In addition to his work on behalf of established global companies, Hurd has represented some of the most innovative life science companies on their most significant transactions, including:
- Impax, in its $5.5 billion merger with Amneal Pharmaceuticals – creating the 5th largest generics business in the U.S.
- Stemcentrx, in its $10 billion acquisition by AbbVie – the largest sale ever of a private life science company.
- Synageva, in its acquisition by Alexion for $8.7 billion – representing the largest premium ever paid in a large healthcare transaction.
- Amgen, in its $10.5 billion acquisition of Onyx and its acquisition of deCODE Genetics.
- Pharmasset, a 68-employee clinical stage pharmaceutical company, in its $11 billion acquisition by Gilead – one of the most successful biotech transactions ever completed.
- Sprout, in its acquisition by Valeant – a strategic purchase of the first drug of its kind to receive FDA approval.
Hurd was actively involved in developing the Firm’s Technology practice, and during the technology boom he co-founded the Firm’s Silicon Valley practice. Since his 2006 return to New York, he and another partner have mentored hundreds of beginning lawyers through Sullivan & Cromwell’s rigorous development program. Hurd speaks regularly at professional gatherings concerning the life science industry and takeover defense. His cultural and philanthropic interests include service on the boards of the Metropolitan Opera, the International Women’s Health Coalition and Episcopal Charities.
- Recognized as a Law360 Life Sciences MVP (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018)
- Named “Dealmaker of the Year” (2017) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Bayer in its acquisition of Monsanto
- Named “Dealmaker of the Year” (2015) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Bayer in its acquisition of the consumer care business of Merck
- Named “Dealmaker of the Week” (May 2015) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Synageva in its acquisition by Alexion
- Named “Dealmaker of the Week” (November 2011) by The American Lawyer for his role as counsel to Pharmasset in its acquisition by Gilead
- Sullivan & Cromwell Named Life Sciences Group of the Year by Law360 (2015, 2017)
- Recognized by The National Law Journal as a Mergers & Acquisitions and Antitrust Trailblazer (2017)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America as a leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- Recognized in The Legal 500 United States in M&A (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- New York Super Lawyers (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Recognized as one of the Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America (2011, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2018)