Matthew B. GoodmanPartner
Recognized by The Deal as an M&A “Rising Star” in 2020, Matthew Goodman is a member of the Firm’s General Practice Group and represents clients in a range of domestic and international mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions, including mergers, joint ventures, stock purchases and asset acquisitions in a variety of industries, including financial institutions, consumer goods and information technology. Matthew also regularly advises on corporate governance.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev in several transactions including:
- in connection with the divestiture of Craft Brew Alliance’s Kona Brewing operations in Hawaii to PV Brewing Partners
- its definitive agreement with Starbucks to produce, bottle, distribute and market the first Teavana Ready-to-Drink tea in the U.S.
- its subsidiary Ambev’s $350 million acquisition of a range of ready-to-drink, cider and craft beer brands for the Canadian and other markets from the Mark Anthony Group of companies
- Constellation Brands’ $300 million acquisition of AB InBev’s state-of-the-art glass production plant and high-density warehouse, land and rail infrastructure in Nava, Coahuila, Mexico
- Constellation Brands’ $600 million acquisition of a brewery operation from Grupo Modelo, a subsidiary of AB InBev
- its $20.1 billion acquisition of the remaining stake it didn't already own in Grupo Modelo
- its $1.85 billion sale of a 50% interest in Crown Imports to Constellation Brands
- its $2.9 billion sale of Compañía Cervecera de Coahuila to Constellation Brands
- BCE Inc. in its $577 million acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of GLENTEL
- Borealis Infrastructure and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its $1.5 billion sale of Express Pipeline System to Spectra Energy
- C&S Wholesale Grocers in its acquisition of the wholesale distribution and supply business of The Grocers Supply Company
- Colson Associates in the sale of its majority interest in the Colson Medical Companies to Marmon Holdings, a Berkshire Hathaway company
- GGP in its $28 billion acquisition by Brookfield Property Partners
- Hay Group in its $454 million acquisition by Korn Ferry
- IntercontinentalExchange in its $8.2 billion acquisition of NYSE Euronext
- Investor group led by entrepreneur and sports card collector Nat Turner, D1 Capital Partners and Cohen Private Ventures in its $853 million acquisition of Collectors Universe
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in the sale of its 50% ownership interest in Northern Star Generation to GulfSun Power Holdings, an affiliate of Harbert Management Corporation
- Ron Shaich’s Act III Holdings in the equity financing of PAR Technology Corporation’s $500 million acquisition of Punchh
- Stryker Corporation in its $2.775 billion acquisition of Sage Products from Madison Dearborn Partners
- Swiss Re Life Capital, a wholly-owned unit of Swiss Re AG, in the $900 million sale of the U.S. portion of Swiss Re’s Admin Re division, consisting of Reassure America Life Insurance Company and related subsidiaries, to Jackson National Life Insurance Company, a unit of Prudential
- UnitedHealth Group in its free-standing pharmacy care services business OptumRx’s $12 billion combination with Catamaran Corporation
- Wells Fargo Bank in its acquisition of the North American reserved-based and related diversified energy lending business of BNP Paribas
- ZF Friedrichshafen in its $12.4 billion acquisition of TRW Automotive Holdings
- Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Centerview Partners and Perella Weinberg Partners as financial advisers in several significant transactions
Matthew regularly participates in conferences and contributes to thought leadership in the M&A and corporate governance space. Most recently, he spoke at the Rules for Growth Institute (Droit & Croissance) “Corporate Governance & Shareholder Empowerment” Symposium as well as on the “Earn-outs and Fiduciary Duties in Private Transactions” panel at PLI’s Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company 2019.
Matthew is also a member of the Mergers, Acquisitions & Corporate Control Contests Committee of the New York City Bar Association, the Leadership Council of Lawyers for Children and the Wine, Beer, and Spirits Law Committee of the NYSBA Business Law Section.