Juan Rodriguez has been an S&C partner since 2007, co-leads the EU Competition Group and is co-head of the Firm’s Antitrust Group. In addition to being qualified in England and Wales, he is a member of the Paris Bar.
Mr. Rodriguez is regularly recognized as a leader in EU Competition in leading legal directories. Chambers Global and Chambers UK, have highlighted Mr. Rodriguez’s “sharp legal mind” and provision of a “high level of client satisfaction”. He is also noted for being “strong in dealing with sophisticated cross-border matters” and IFLR1000 have commended him for being “the firm’s key partner on [competition] matters”.
Mr. Rodriguez's practice involves representing some of the world’s largest companies in award winning transactions such as “Matter of the Year” and “Merger Control Matter of the Year” at GCR Awards 2019 for his work on Bayer’s acquisition of Monsanto. Mr. Rodriguez has extensive experience before the EU Commission and national competition authorities in Europe on merger review proceedings and cartel investigations.
He is a member of the European Competition Lawyers Forum and is fluent in English and French.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation: Dispute Resolution Star – Competition/Antitrust (2019, 2020)
- Chambers UK: Competition Law (2008 - 2020)
- Chambers Global: Competition/European Law (2013 - 2019)
- Chambers Europe: Competition/European Law (2010 - 2019)
- The Legal 500 United Kingdom: EU and Competition (2013 - 2018)
- IFLR1000 (2015 - 2019)
- PLC Which Lawyer? Competition Guide (2012, 2013)
- Who’s Who Legal: Competition Law (2006 - 2019)
- Global Competition Review: selected as one of the world’s 40 top Antitrust/Competition lawyers under age 40 in the publication’s “40 Under 40” ranking (2004)
- Super Lawyers -recognised as a leading UK lawyer for EU Law (2014)
- Advance Publications, Inc. on its acquisition of Turnitin LLC.
- AIG on the EU Commission’s investigations into the provision of aviation insurance and the business insurance sector
- Alcatel-Lucent on its combination with Nokia
- Arcandor on the EU Commission’s review of its acquisition of MyTravel
- AXA on the EU Commission’s review of the acquisition of Winterthur
- Bank of New York and Mellon Bank on the European competition aspects of their merger
- Bayer on its acquisition of Monsanto (Winner of Matter of the Year and Merger Control Matter of the Year – Europe, GCR Awards 2019)
- Castleton Commodities on its acquisition of Morgan Stanley's Global Oil Merchanting business
- C.banner International on its sale of Hamleys Global Holdings Limited, to Reliance Brands Limited
- CGI Group Inc. on its takeover of Logica
- Constellation Energy on the sale of its international commodities business
- Crédit Agricole on the EU review of its acquisition of the Société Générale asset management business
- Cytec Industries on the EU review of its acquisition of UCB’s chemicals division
- Diebold, Inc. on the CMA investigation of its acquisition of Wincor Nixdorf, and in all other antitrust investigations of the transaction
- Exor S.p.A. on its acquisition of PartnerRe Ltd.
- Fiat on the EU Commission’s review of its acquisition of Chrysler
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. and Magneti Marelli S.p.A in the sale of Magneti Marelli to CK Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Fiat Chrysler Finance Europe on an EU state aid investigation and in its pending appeal against the decision
- Financière SNOP Dunois S.A. on its acquisition of Tower Europe
- Fiserv on its acquisition of First Data
- Fletcher Building Limited on the sale of Formica Group to Broadview Holding BV
- Goldman Sachs Funds on its acquisition of B&B Hotels
- Goldman Sachs on the sale of a majority shareholding in Rothesay Life to Blackstone and GIC; and its acquisition of a 50% shareholding in Hastings Insurance Group
- Harris Corporation on its acquisition of Exelis Inc.
- Hilton Hotels on its acquisition by the Blackstone Group
- IntesaBci on the EU review of the joint venture between IntesaBci and Lazard
- Iveco and its parent company CNH International N.V., on the investigations by the Office of Fair Trading and the European Commission regarding information exchange among truck manufacturers in Europe
- LAN Airlines on EU/UK competition aspects of its merger with TAM
- Merck KGaA on its acquisition of Versum Materials
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Union Bank N.A., on its acquisition of Trade Payable Services from GE Capital
- Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation on its acquisition, along with ArcelorMittal, of ThyssenKrupp’s steel manufacturing operations in the U.S.
- NXP Semiconductors on its acquisition of assets from Conexant
- Occidental Petroleum on its acquisition of Phibro
- Pharmacia on the EU review of Pfizer’s acquisition of Pharmacia
- Praxair, Inc. on its merger with Linde AG
- Renault/Nissan on its strategic cooperation with Daimler
- Rhône Capital on its acquisition of CSM’s Bakery Supplies business
- Rhône Capital on its acquisition of Zodiac Pool Holding
- Sidel on the EU review of Tetra Laval’s acquisition of Sidel
- Spirit AeroSystems Holdings, Inc. on the acquisition of Asco Industries N.V.
- Standard Industries on its acquisition of Braas Monier Building Group
- Technicolor SA on the EU Commission’s cartel investigation into the cathode ray tubes sector
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. on its acquisition of Allergan Generics
- Tokio Marine Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc.
- Towergate Insurance Group senior secured creditors on Towergate’s financial restructuring and recapitalisation
- VeriFone on EU/UK competition aspects of its acquisitions of Hypercom and Point International
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG on its acquisition of TRW Automotive Holdings Corp