Jonathon G. HannahSpecial Counsel
Jonathon Hannah is Special Counsel in Sullivan & Cromwell’s Hong Kong office specialising in project development and finance. His experience spans mining, energy, petrochemicals and telecoms projects in a wide variety of jurisdictions, including Africa, the CIS, Middle East and Australasia. Jonathon has represented developers, sponsors, banks and ECAs in relation to some of the most complex and high-profile projects globally.
Jonathon also covers the full breadth of finance work, including restructuring, corporate lending and acquisition finance. He has experience in a range of complementary corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements and fund formation.
He has been recognised as a leading lawyer for his work in project finance by IFLR1000 and The Legal 500 United Kingdom.
“[He] provided excellent services consistently around the clock. [He was] extremely efficient, technically prepared, available and really delivered value for money. Rarely have I found this level of quality.”
“Consistently demonstrated unique skills, both technically and personally. [His] ability to deliver the highest quality work product in extremely challenging time-frames and under very strong pressure is remarkable”
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSOil & Gas/Petrochemicals
- Rovuma LNG – representing Rovuma LNG on the financing of its $35 billion LNG project in Mozambique (pending)
- Australia Pacific LNG, Refinancing – represented APLNG’s subsidiary Australia Pacific LNG Processing in connection with its Section 4(a)(2)/Regulation D private placement of $1.4 billion of senior notes used to prepay a portion of its project debt incurred in the financing of its LNG liquefaction project.
- Dolphin Pipeline Project, Supplemental Financing – advised the lenders on the US$863 million supplemental senior debt financing for the Dolphin Pipeline Project.
- Australia Pacific LNG – represented the project company, a ConocoPhillips, Sinopec and Origin Energy joint venture, in relation to the $8.5 billion project financing of two gas liquefaction trains in Queensland, Australia.
- IJGlobal Asia-Pacific Midstream Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2018
- Project Finance International Asia-Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2012
- Standout: Financial Times US Innovative Lawyers 2012, Energy
- Dolphin Energy Pipeline – represented the bank lenders and underwriters on the $4.14 billion refinancing of the Dolphin Energy pipeline project, the largest cross-border gas project in the Middle East.
- Infrastructure Journal Global Oil & Gas Deal of the Year
- PFI Middle Eastern Oil & Gas Deal of the Year
- Middle East Oil & Gas Deal of the Year by Project Finance
- Papua New Guinea LNG – advised the sponsors in relation to the $18 billion Papua New Guinea liquefied natural gas project.
- South Stream Pipeline – advised the project company and sponsors in relation to a multi-billion Euro project financing of a cross-border natural gas pipeline (currently under review).
- Total – advised Total on a US$1 billion equivalent loan facility to a Scandinavian subsidiary.
- Tengizchevroil (TCO) Gas Sales – advised Tengizchevroil, a joint venture between Chevron, ExxonMobil, KazMunayGas and LukArco, on the negotiation of three long-term gas sales agreements.
- Cameron LNG – advised Sempra on certain English-law aspects of the US$7.5 billion financing of the Cameron LNG Project.
- Highly Commended: Financial Times North America Innovative Lawyers 2014, Finance
- Salalah Methanol – represented the commercial bank syndicate on the $640 million non-recourse project financing of a methanol plant in Salalah, Sultanate of Oman.*
- Aromatics Oman – represented the Export-Import Bank of Korea and the commercial bank syndicate in relation to the $1.25 billion financing of an aromatics plant in Sohar, Sultanate of Oman.*
- Ambatovy Project Restructuring – represented the project company in relation to three restructurings of the senior debt obligations of Ambatovy nickel, cobalt and ammonium sulphate mining project.
- Oyu Tolgoi – represented Rio Tinto and Oyu Tolgoi LLC in relation to the multi-billion project financing of a copper and gold mining project in Mongolia.
- PFI Asia-Pacific Mining Deal of the Year
- El Boleo Project – represented the hedging banks and commercial lenders on the intercreditor issues in relation to the $823 million project financing of the El Boleo copper-cobalt-zinc-manganese mining project in Mexico.
- Emerging Market Mining Project – currently representing the Sponsors in relation to the structuring aspects of an emerging market mining project.
- Reykjavik Geothermal – Advised the project company in relation to a convertible term loan facility and the granting of certain investment rights to an institutional investor.
- Chaglla Hydroelectric Power Plant – Advised a consortium led by China Three Gorges on the financing arrangements in connection with the acquisition of the Chaglla HEP.
- Emerging Market Power Project – Advised the initial purchasers in relation to bankability aspects of a power plant in Kazakhstan (currently on hold).
- MIC Tanzania Limited – represented the lenders (including Standard Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, PROPARCO, EKN and local DFIs) in connection with the financing of MIC Tanzania Limited, a telecoms operator in Tanzania (trading as Tigo).*
Restructuring and Strategic Finance
- Consortium led by China Three Gorges – acquisition financing
- Philips – Advised Philips on a €1.75 billion term loan and revolving credit facility with respect to the IPO of its lighting business.
- Goldman Sachs Investor Funds – Advised Goldman Sachs Investor Funds on the restructuring of a €1.4 billion real estate financing.
- Towergate Creditors – restructuring.
- Abengoa Coordinating Committee of Creditors – restructuring.
- Swisscom – corporate financing.
- Finmeccanica – corporate financing.
- GS Capital Partners – acquisition financing.
- Goldman Sachs Investor Funds – restructuring.
* Denotes representations undertaken prior to joining S&C.