Jonathon G. HannahSpecial Counsel
Jonathon Hannah is Special Counsel in Sullivan & Cromwell’s Hong Kong office specialising in project development and finance. His experience spans mining, energy, petrochemicals and telecoms projects in a wide variety of jurisdictions, including Africa, the CIS, Middle East and Australasia. Jonathon has represented developers, sponsors, banks and ECAs in relation to some of the most complex and high-profile projects globally.
Jonathon also covers the full breadth of finance work, including restructuring, corporate lending and acquisition finance. He has experience in a range of complementary corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements and fund formation.
He is recommended in the 2016 and 2017 editions of IFLR1000 and the 2014 edition of the The Legal 500 United Kingdom for his project finance expertise in the natural resources sector.
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSOil & Gas/Petrochemicals
- Australia Pacific LNG, Refinancing – represented APLNG’s subsidiary Australia Pacific LNG Processing in connection with its Section 4(a)(2)/Regulation D private placement of $1.4 billion of senior notes used to prepay a portion of its project debt incurred in the financing of its LNG liquefaction project.
- Dolphin Pipeline Project, Supplemental Financing – advised the lenders on the US$863 million supplemental senior debt financing for the Dolphin Pipeline Project.
- South Stream Pipeline – advised the project company and sponsors in relation to a multi-billion Euro project financing of a cross-border natural gas pipeline (currently under review).
- Australia Pacific LNG – represented the project company, a ConocoPhillips, Sinopec and Origin Energy joint venture, in relation to the $8.5 billion project financing of two gas liquefaction trains in Queensland, Australia.
- Dolphin Energy Pipeline – represented the bank lenders and underwriters on the $4.14 billion refinancing of the Dolphin Energy pipeline project, the largest cross-border gas project in the Middle East.
- Papua New Guinea LNG – advised the sponsors in relation to the $18 billion Papua New Guinea liquefied natural gas project.
- Total – advised Total on a US$1 billion equivalent loan facility to a Scandinavian subsidiary.
- Tengizchevroil (TCO) Gas Sales – advised Tengizchevroil, a joint venture between Chevron, ExxonMobil, KazMunayGas and LukArco, on the negotiation of three long-term gas sales agreements.
- Cameron LNG – advised Sempra on certain English-law aspects of the US$7.5 billion financing of the Cameron LNG Project.
- Salalah Methanol – represented the commercial bank syndicate on the $640 million non-recourse project financing of a methanol plant in Salalah, Sultanate of Oman.*
- Aromatics Oman – represented the Export-Import Bank of Korea and the commercial bank syndicate in relation to the $1.25 billion financing of an aromatics plant in Sohar, Sultanate of Oman.*
- Ambatovy Project Restructuring – represented the project company in relation to the restructuring of the senior debt obligations of Ambatovy nickel, cobalt and ammonium sulphate mining project.
- Oyu Tolgoi – represented Rio Tinto and Oyu Tolgoi LLC in relation to the multi-billion project financing of a copper and gold mining project in Mongolia.
- El Boleo Project – represented the hedging banks and commercial lenders on the intercreditor issues in relation to the $823 million project financing of the El Boleo copper-cobalt-zinc-manganese mining project in Mexico.
- Emerging Market Mining Project – currently representing the Sponsors in relation to the structuring aspects of an emerging market mining project.
- Emerging Market Power Project – Advised the initial purchasers in relation to bankability aspects of the Balkhash coal-fired thermal power plant in Kazakhstan (currently on hold).
- MIC Tanzania Limited – represented the lenders (including Standard Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, PROPARCO, EKN and local DFIs) in connection with the financing of MIC Tanzania Limited, a telecoms operator in Tanzania (trading as Tigo).*
- Reykjavik Geothermal – Advised the project company in relation to a convertible term loan facility and the granting of certain investment rights to an institutional investor.
Restructuring and Strategic Finance
- Consortium led by China Three Gorges – acquisition financing
- Philips – Advised Philips on a €1.75 billion term loan and revolving credit facility with respect to the IPO of its lighting business.
- Goldman Sachs Investor Funds – Advised Goldman Sachs Investor Funds on the restructuring of a €1.4 billion real estate financing.
- Towergate Creditors – restructuring.
- Abengoa Coordinating Committee of Creditors – restructuring.
- Swisscom – corporate financing.
- Finmeccanica – corporate financing.
- GS Capital Partners – acquisition financing.
- Goldman Sachs Investor Funds – restructuring.
* Denotes representations undertaken prior to joining S&C.