James M. Shea Jr.Special Counsel
James Shea is a special counsel in the Firm’s General Practice Group. His practice covers a broad range of corporate and transactional matters in markets across North America and Europe. His experience includes advising public and private clients on capital markets, mergers and acquisitions transactions, and providing corporate governance and U.S. securities law advice. He has represented issuers, investors, underwriters and buyers and sellers in public and private capital-raising and acquisition transactions in a variety of contexts. He has advised clients in a wide range of industries, including consumer and retail, financial institutions, healthcare and life sciences, oil and gas, telecommunications and transportation.
- Spoke on a panel titled “ESG: Putting Theory into Practice” as part of the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law’s 57th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute (September 27, 2018)
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSSelected Capital Markets Representations
- APA Group in its initial U.S. offering of $750 million guaranteed senior notes
- the underwriters of AT&T Inc. in capital markets transactions totaling over $100 billion of SEC-registered debt
- Chrysler Group LLC (now known as FCA US LLC) in its initial public offering (transaction abandoned), initial registration statement with the SEC and multiple refinancings
- Ferrari N.V. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. as its principal shareholder in Ferrari’s initial public offering and de-merger
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. in its listing on the New York Stock Exchange and Mercato Telematico Azionario organized by the Borsa Italiana, and multiple capital markets offerings including debt, equity and mandatory convertible securities
- Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. in its debt capital markets transactions
- Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group Pty Ltd. in its initial $325 million senior secured notes issued in the U.S. private placement market
- Popular, Inc. in its initial public offering of EVERTEC, Inc. common stock (emerging growth company) as selling stockholder and follow-on public offerings of EVERTEC, Inc. common stock
- Quality Care Properties, Inc. in spin-off from HCP Inc.
- R. R. Donnelley & Sons Company in spin-off transactions of LSC Communications, Inc. and Donnelley Financial Solutions, Inc.
- Vector Group Ltd. in its high-yield debt offerings
- the underwriters of Visa Inc. in debt and equity capital markets transactions
- Woolworths Limited in its spinoff and initial public offering of SCA Property Group
- Fiat S.p.A. in acquiring 100% ownership of Chrysler Group LLC
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. in its cross-border merger and redomiciliation
- Intercontinental Exchange, Inc. in its acquisition financing for acquisitions of NYSE Euronext and Interactive Data Holdings Corporation
- LSC Communications, Inc. in its pending acquisition by Quad/Graphics, Inc.
- LSC Communications, Inc. in its acquisition of the print logistics business of R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company
- Popular, Inc. in its spin-off of EVERTEC, Inc. into a joint venture with funds affiliated with Apollo (September 2010), subsequent reorganization of ownership interest in EVERTEC, Inc. (April 2012) and continuing ownership of minority interest in EVERTEC, Inc.
- Quality Care Properties, Inc. in its acquisition of HCR ManorCare, Inc.