Jacob M. CrokePartner
Jake has represented clients in connection with a wide range of matters in federal and state courts and in arbitration, including matters related to structured financial products, commercial disputes and the acquisitions of assets from failed financial institutions. He has represented corporate and individual clients before the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the United States Senate, state attorneys general and other regulatory bodies. Jake also has advised clients in matters involving merger-related disputes, consumer lending, whistleblower allegations, bank regulatory issues, alleged benchmark interest rate manipulation, tax issues and alleged insider trading.
Jake’s pro bono work includes arguing a criminal appeal before the New York Appellate Division, Second Department as an Assistant District Attorney and representation of an indigent defendant pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act.
Jake has been recognized as a New York Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Business Litigation (2017, 2018) and Securities Litigation (2019, 2020).
- Goldman Sachs in connection with the global settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, the New York, Illinois and California Attorneys General, the National Credit Union Administration and the Federal Home Loan Banks of Chicago and Seattle, resolving claims regarding Goldman’s structuring, underwriting and sales of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- UBS AG in a civil action by the Department of Justice alleging that UBS violated FIRREA in connection with $41 billion of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Tiffany & Co. as plaintiff in litigation against LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton stemming from LVMH’s acquisition of Tiffany for approximately $16 billion, which was completed in January 2021.
- Goldman Sachs in obtaining summary judgment dismissing class action fraud claims brought by investors alleging losses exceeding $2 billion in two CDO transactions.
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico in $300 million disputes in AAA arbitration with the FDIC regarding loans purchased from the FDIC as receiver of a failed bank.
- UBS AG in connection with an investigation by a consortium of state attorneys general regarding alleged benchmark interest rate manipulation.
- Goldman Sachs in a trust instruction proceeding in Minnesota state court involving a synthetic CDO.
- A major financial institution in connection with non-public regulatory and criminal investigations involving alleged insider trading, whistleblower claims and other issues.
- A major hedge fund in connection with an internal investigation into high-profile misconduct allegations.
- A major financial institution in connection with stress test planning and related bank supervisory matters.
- A major hedge fund in connection with investments in structured products and other regulatory matters.
- A major financial institution in connection with an SEC investigation resulting in a declination after receiving a Wells Notice.