Garth W. BrayPartner
Garth Bray is a member of Sullivan & Cromwell's General Practice Group, based in Paris. He has extensive experience in complex cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions. Before returning to the Paris office in 2021, he was based in Asia, focusing on matters arising out of the Tokyo, Beijing and Hong Kong offices.
In Hong Kong, Garth is rated a "Notable Practitioner" (IFLR, 2021); previously, he has been named as a leading Corporate/M&A lawyer in Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Global and has been recognized as a leading Corporate Finance lawyer in Chambers UK.
Garth is a regular speaker on M&A, compliance and governance issues.
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. in its investment in Air France-KLM’s €2.256 billion rights issue
- InterContinental Energy Holdings, a leading global developer of large renewable energy projects, on its sale of a significant minority stake to an affiliate of GIC
- Recruit Holdings Co., Ltd. in connection with the $4.3 billion LBO of 51job by a buyout group that included 51job’s CEO Rick Yan, Recruit, DCP Capital Partners and Ocean Link Partners
- Hyperconnect shareholders in Match Group’s $1.725 billion acquisition of Hyperconnect
- Advance in its definitive stock purchase agreement with Wanda Sports Group to acquire The IRONMAN Group in an all-cash transaction
- Shareholders of Woowa Brothers Corp. in their agreement with Delivery Hero SE in connection with Delivery Hero’s announced acquisition of Woowa for an enterprise value of $4 billion
- Signify in its definitive agreement with Eaton to acquire Cooper Lighting Solutions for $1.4 billion
- Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI) in the formation of joint ventures with Jebsen Beverage Company Limited to manufacture and distribute Blue Girl brand beer in China and to manage the Blue Girl beer brand internationally
- NWS Holdings Limited (a member of the New World group) in its share purchase agreement to acquire the entire issued share capital in FTLife Insurance Company Limited for a total consideration of $2.75 billion, subject to adjustments
- Booking Holdings in its strategic partnership with Didi Chuxing, under which Booking Holdings has invested USD 500 million in Didi and in its $450 million investment in Meituan-Dianping through the purchase of preferred shares
- Deutsche Bank, Citi and Morgan Stanley as financial advisers to Ant Financial in its approximately US$14 billion Series C equity financing
- Fiera Capital Corporation in its acquisition of Clearwater Capital Partners, LLC
- Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan as lead underwriters in Alibaba Group on its $7 billion SEC-registered offering of senior notes
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (China) in its $1 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in Lazada Group S.A. (Singapore), the Southeast Asian e-commerce group, and Alibaba’s subsequent acquisition, through a put/call mechanism, of most of the remaining minority shareholder interests in Lazada
- Aviva plc in its digital insurance joint venture in Hong Kong with Tencent and HillHouse
- New Century Healthcare on its $123 million Hong Kong IPO
- Alibaba Group Holding Limited (China) in its joint venture agreement with Foxconn Technology Group (Taiwan) and SoftBank Robotics Holdings Corp. (Japan) and related investments
- JobStreet Corporation Berhad (Malaysia) in its proposed sale of certain of its businesses in Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Hong Kong to SEEK Limited (Australia), a significant shareholder of JobStreet for approximately $524 million
- Goldman Sachs (Japan) as financial adviser to eAccess Ltd. in connection with the 180 billion yen (US$2.3 billion) share exchange transaction between eAccess and Softbank Corp.
- China Shenhua Overseas Development & Investment Company Limited (“Shenhua Overseas”) in its shale gas-related acquisition and joint development agreement with Energy Corporation of America (“ECA”), and in is acquisition of an undivided 50 percent of interest in certain oil and gas leases in the Marcellus Shale Formation in Greene County, Pennsylvania and other related assets from ECA
- Stryker Corporation in its $764 million voluntary cash offer to acquire all the shares and share options of Trauson Holdings
- Avon in its sale of Avon Japan to TPG
- Sompo Japan and Nipponkoa Insurance Co. in connection with their merger transaction
- JPMorgan Chase in its acquisition of the assets of Washington Mutual’s banking operations from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Mediobanca and Goldman Sachs Infrastructure Partners in an infrastructure joint venture with Sintonia, a Benneton family holding company
- Prudential Financial in its sale of the Dryden Wealth Management Business to Fortis
- Deloitte Consulting in its proposed separation from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
- Cap Gemini in its acquisition of the global consulting activities of Ernst & Young
- Powergen in its acquisition by E.ON