David H. BraffPartner
David Braff was the managing partner of Sullivan & Cromwell’s Litigation Group from January 2004 to October 2012, and now has overall responsibility for the Firm’s litigation practice. He is a member of the Firm’s Management Committee, acts as the Firm’s General Counsel, and is co-chair of the Firm’s Diversity Committee.
Mr. Braff is a generalist litigator. In recent years, his practice has focused on a wide variety of civil litigation matters, including securities and antitrust class actions. He has also handled numerous regulatory investigations and criminal matters.
Rankings and Recognitions
Mr. Braff has been recognized as a star in securities litigation (National) (2011-2018) (New York) (2010-2018), intellectual property litigation (New York) (2010-2014, 2017, 2018) and general commercial litigation (New York) (2008, 2009) by Euromoney’s Benchmark: America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys; in corporate governance (2007), securities: shareholder litigation (2007, 2009-2011, 2015), commercial litigation (2015), financial services: litigation (2012-2014) and mergers, acquisitions and buyouts: M&A litigation (2012) by The Legal 500 United States; by New York Super Lawyers (2006-2017); in commercial litigation (2008-2018), litigation-antitrust (2012-2018) and litigation-securities (2012-2018) by The Best Lawyers in America; and as a leading litigator in Lawdragon’s “100 Lawyers You Need to Know in Securities Litigation” (2008), The Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America (2007, 2008, 2009-2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) and The Lawdragon 500: The Leading Litigators in America (2006).
- Counsel to companies in connection with securities and antitrust class actions.
- Counsel to companies in connection with whistleblower issues and employment-related matters.
- Counsel to companies in connection with sanctions-related criminal and civil investigations.
- Counsel to Sallie Mae Bank in connection with litigation by the State of Illinois concerning student lending practices.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs and its directors in cases relating to executive compensation.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs in litigation relating to auction rate securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in litigation relating to mortgage-backed securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in LIBOR-related matters, including criminal and regulatory matters, and putative antitrust and securities class actions.
- Counsel to Barclays in connection with matters relating to foreign exchange trading, including civil, criminal and regulatory matters.
- Counsel to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in matters relating to the completion and operation of the museum and memorial.
- Counsel to a financial institution in an investigation by the United States Department of Justice and others concerning alleged corruption in connection with international soccer confederations and competitions.