David H. BraffPartner
David Braff is a member of the Firm’s Management Committee, acts as the Firm’s General Counsel, and is co-chair of the Firm’s Diversity Committee.
Mr. Braff is a generalist litigator. In recent years, his practice has focused on regulatory investigations and criminal matters, as well as a wide variety of civil litigation matters.
Rankings and Recognitions
Mr. Braff has been recognized as a National Practice Area Star (2019 – 2021), Litigation Star (2011 – 2019) and Local Litigation Star (New York) (2010 – 2021) in securities litigation, and as a Local Litigation Star in intellectual property litigation (New York) (2010 – 2014, 2017 – 2021) and in general commercial litigation (New York) (2008, 2009) by Euromoney’s Benchmark: America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys; in general commercial disputes (2018), securities litigation: defense (2018), corporate governance (2007), securities: shareholder litigation (2007, 2009 – 2011, 2015), commercial litigation (2015), financial services: litigation (2012 – 2014) and mergers, acquisitions and buyouts: M&A litigation (2012) by The Legal 500 United States; by New York Super Lawyers (2006 – 2021); in commercial litigation (2008 – 2022), litigation-antitrust (2012 – 2022) and litigation-securities (2012 – 2022) by The Best Lawyers in America; and as a leading litigator in The Lawdragon 500: Legends (2018), The Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America (2007 – 2018), Lawdragon’s “100 Lawyers You Need to Know in Securities Litigation” (2008) and The Lawdragon 500: The Leading Litigators in America (2006).
- Lead counsel to Bank Hapoalim in an investigation by the United States Department of Justice and others concerning alleged corruption in connection with international soccer confederations and competitions.
- Lead counsel to Bank Hapoalim in a cross-border investigation by the Department of Justice, Federal Reserve, and New York Department of Financial Services relating to tax evasion by U.S. customers.
- Counsel to companies in connection with securities and antitrust class actions.
- Counsel to companies in connection with whistleblower issues and employment-related matters.
- Counsel to companies in connection with sanctions-related criminal and civil investigations.
- Counsel to Sallie Mae Bank in connection with litigation by the State of Illinois and State of Mississippi concerning student lending practices.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs and its directors in cases relating to executive compensation.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs in litigation relating to auction rate securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in litigation relating to mortgage-backed securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in LIBOR-related matters, including criminal and regulatory matters, and putative antitrust and securities class actions.
- Counsel to Barclays in connection with matters relating to foreign exchange trading, including civil, criminal and regulatory matters.
- Counsel to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in matters relating to the completion and operation of the museum and memorial.
- Counsel to Bank of New York Mellon in the settlement of an SEC investigation into allegations relating to “pre-release” of American depositary receipts (ADRs).