David H. BraffPartner
David Braff was the managing partner of Sullivan & Cromwell’s Litigation Group from January 2004 to October 2012, and now has overall responsibility for the Firm’s litigation practice. He is a member of the Firm’s Management Committee, and acts as the Firm's General Counsel
Mr. Braff is a generalist litigator. In recent years his practice has focused on regulatory investigations and criminal matters. He also handles a wide variety of civil litigation matters, primarily for financial institutions.
Rankings and Recognitions
Mr. Braff has been recognized as a star in securities litigation (National) (2011-2017) (New York) (2010-2017), intellectual property litigation (New York) (2010-2014, 2017) and general commercial litigation (New York) (2008, 2009) by Euromoney’s Benchmark: America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys; in corporate governance (2007), securities: shareholder litigation (2007, 2009-2011, 2015), commercial litigation (2015), financial services: litigation (2012-2014) and mergers, acquisitions and buyouts: M&A litigation (2012) by The Legal 500 United States; by New York Super Lawyers (2006-2015); in commercial litigation (2008-2017), litigation-antitrust (2012-2017) and litigation-securities (2012-2017) by The Best Lawyers in America; and as a leading litigator in Lawdragon’s “100 Lawyers You Need to Know in Securities Litigation” (2008), The Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America (2007, 2008, 2009-2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) and The Lawdragon 500: The Leading Litigators in America (2006).
- Counsel to Sallie Mae Bank in connection with litigation by the State of Illinois concerning student lending practices.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs and its directors in cases relating to executive compensation.
- Counsel to Goldman Sachs in litigation relating to auction rate securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in litigation relating to mortgage backed securities.
- Counsel to Barclays in LIBOR-related matters, including criminal and regulatory matters, and putative antitrust and securities class actions.
- Counsel to Barclays in connection with matters relating to foreign exchange trading, including civil, criminal and regulatory matters.
- Counsel to the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in matters relating to the completion and operation of the museum and memorial.
- Counsel to a financial institution in an investigation by the United States Department of Justice and others concerning alleged corruption in connection with international soccer confederations and competitions.