Amanda Flug DavidoffPartner
Amanda Davidoff is a partner in S&C’s Washington, D.C. office and is Deputy Managing Partner of the Firm’s Litigation Group. She represents clients in a wide range of civil litigation matters at both the trial and appellate level, with a focus on complex securities and antitrust class actions and derivative litigation. Amanda also represents clients in high-stakes government investigations. She is a member of the Yale Law School Executive Committee for the July 2017 – June 2020 term.
- Represents Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche in defending against a multidistrict antitrust class action alleging that defendants conspired for decades to unlawfully increase the prices of German luxury vehicles. In June 2019, the court dismissed the action in full.
- Represents JPMorgan Chase and its affiliates in actions alleging monopolization and manipulation of the silver futures market in violation of federal antitrust and commodity exchange laws. In a consolidated multidistrict class action, obtained dismissal of all claims, and successfully defended judgment on appeal to the Second Circuit. Continues to defend JP Morgan in renewed lawsuits regarding alleged manipulation of precious metals derivatives.
- Represents BP in multi-district class action litigation alleging antitrust and Commodity Exchange Act claims relating to alleged overseas manipulation of Brent Crude Oil that allegedly harmed derivatives traders in the United States. In June 2017, the court dismissed the putative class actions, a ruling S&C successfully defended on appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Represents the underwriters of a 2016 bond offering by Under Armour in a securities class action arising out of alleged misstatements concerning the company's business, operations and prospects. In September 2018, the court dismissed all claims against the underwriters, a ruling S&C is defending on appeal to the Fourth Circuit.
- Represents Sallie Mae Bank in lawsuits by the Illinois Attorney General and Mississippi Attorney General alleging violations of the states’ Consumer Fraud Acts in connection with student loan origination. In July 2018, the Illinois court dismissed all claims against Sallie Mae Bank; in October 2019, the Mississippi Supreme Court agreed to hear an interlocutory appeal of the lower court’s denial of Sallie Mae Bank’s dismissal motion.
- Defended Nomura Holding America Inc. and its affiliates in a four-week bench trial of a securities action brought by the Federal Housing Finance Agency concerning Freddie’s and Fannie’s purchase of RMBS before the financial crisis. Represented Nomura on appeal.
- Represented Nomura Securities International in multi-district class actions alleging manipulation of auctions for U.S. treasuries and derivatives in violation of federal antitrust and commodity exchange laws, achieving dismissal of all claims.
- Represents ING in class action alleging manipulation of Singapore interest rate benchmarks in violation of federal antitrust law, RICO and state law. In July 2019, the court finally dismissed all claims against ING, a ruling S&C is defending on appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Represented First Horizon National Corporation and its affiliates in a broad range of securities and contract actions concerning RMBS and mortgage loans sold before the financial crisis.
- Represented BP p.l.c. in a consolidated securities fraud class action arising out of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion and subsequent Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Secured denial of class certification for all but one month of the more than two-year class period for which plaintiffs sought certification and successfully defended that victory on appeal to the Fifth Circuit.
- Represented mutual fund trustees in three derivative and class actions in federal and Delaware court alleging RICO claims and breaches of fiduciary duty. Obtained dismissal of all claims in the three actions and successfully defended the decisions on appeal in the Second and Third Circuits and Delaware Supreme Court, including arguing the appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Counsels mutual fund clients on regulatory matters and advises an array of clients on merger clearance approval.
- Benchmark Litigation – Recognized as a Top Litigator Under 40 (2017-2018) and a Future Star (2016-2020); named to the 40 & Under Hot List (2016-2018)
- The Legal 500 United States – Recommended for Antitrust: Civil litigation/class actions (2016-2018)
- Trending 40 – Named among Trending 40 Lawyers Under 40 (2015)
- DC Super Lawyers – Recognized as a Rising Star (2015-2016); named to the DC Super Lawyers List (2019-2020)
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation