Law360 Practice Group of the Year: White CollarDecember 7, 2020
S&C’s Criminal Defense & Investigations Group (CDIG) handles a range of high-stakes white-collar matters, including investigations related to alleged corruption, consumer financial protection issues, insider trading, accounting and tax, and antitrust violations and money laundering. As evidence of its preeminence, our CDIG has played leading roles in virtually every major law enforcement initiative of the past 30 years. According to Global Investigations Review, S&C’s CDIG has been counsel to the company in 17 of the 100 most significant corporate resolutions of all time, more than double that of the next law firm.
Our team—which includes 15 former state and federal prosecutors and bank regulatory officials—offers extensive trial experience, having collectively handled more than 125 criminal trials in federal and state courts.
Over the last year, we have delivered favorable results for clients—often against the odds—in some of their most critical criminal defense and investigations matters, including:
- guiding Wells Fargo to resolutions of investigations by the DOJ and SEC into Wells Fargo’s sales practices;
- securing a suite of declinations for energy conglomerate Eni SpA;
- curbing claims brought by the SEC against Volkswagen;
- representing multiple clients in the recent wave of spoofing enforcement actions, building on the Firm’s robust experience representing clients in market manipulation and trading-related cases, including high-profile investigations into LIBOR, FX, ISDAFIX and U.S. Treasury auctions; and
- guiding major financial institutions through regulatory and Congressional inquiries and civil litigation arising from federal relief passed in the wake of the pandemic.
Recent Thought Leadership
Critical Insights Podcast
Nicky Friedlander, co-head of S&C’s Cybersecurity Practice, and Eric Kadel, co-head of the Firm’s Economic Sanctions and Financial Crime Practice, discuss two recent Treasury Department advisories on payments made in connection with ransomware attacks.
SEC’s Division of Enforcement 2020 Annual Report Indicates Strong Enforcement Results Despite COVID-19 Challenges
To learn more about S&C’s Criminal Defense and Investigations Group, contact Nic Bourtin.