Law360 Practice Group of the Year: Sports & BettingDecember 17, 2020
The lawyers in S&C’s Sports & Entertainment Practice handle matters across all disciplines. We regularly advise on domestic and cross-border acquisitions and sales, stadium/arena developments, mixed-use real estate projects, team and stadium/arena financings, joint ventures and recapitalizations, and licensing, naming rights and sponsorship deals. We also represent prominent professional sports leagues and franchises, as well as executives and owners, in high-profile disputes and governance matters. Our practice has also expanded alongside the industry and we are experienced in high-growth areas, such as sports technology, SPACs, gambling, fantasy sports and eSports.
Our recent achievements in the sports and betting field include:
- advising DraftKings in its $3.3 billion dollar business combination and SPAC IPO, creating the world’s first vertically integrated sports betting and online gaming company;
- assisting UBS in securing an exclusive 20-year naming rights sponsorship agreement for the New York Islanders’ new home;
- steering Advance, a private, family-held business, in its acquisition of The IRONMAN Group;
- representing Joe Tsai, executive vice chairman and co-founder of Alibaba Group, in his purchase of the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center;
- assisting Major League Baseball in securing the dismissal with prejudice of a putative class action suit alleging electronic sign stealing in violation of the League’s rules; and
- advising the San Francisco Giants, the Atlanta Hawks and the San Diego Padres in their respective major mixed-use real estate developments.
Recent Thought Leadership
Critical Insights Podcast
Pavan Surapaneni, partner in S&C’s Sports & Entertainment Group and Commercial Real Estate Group, is joined by associate Rich Le Page to discuss investments by professional sports teams in mixed-use arena and stadium district real estate development projects. Find a related article here.
Pavan Surapaneni participated on a panel at the Sports Lawyers Association 2020 Annual Conference titled “Controlling Acquisitions, Minority Interest Investments, and Divestitures of Professional Sports Teams and Venues.” Listen to the panel discussion here.
To learn more about our Sports & Entertainment practice, contact Ivan Deutsch and Pavan Surapaneni.