Why a Generalist Approach MattersThe lawyers in our General Practice Group provide strategic advice and innovative solutions across a spectrum of practice areas to many of the world's most influential companies. In stable economies and volatile times alike, our cross-disciplinary teams drawn from 13 offices on four continents work closely with clients on complex matters that shape industries around the world.
"One of the hallmarks of the General Practice Group is the ability of our lawyers to lead cutting-edge transactions across a wide variety of practices, in any industry, economic climate or geographic region.”
Co-Managing Partner, General Practice
A distinguishing feature of our General Practice Group is that our lawyers are generalists, trained in many facets of corporate law and organized into seven subgroups. Lawyers from our General Practice Group work together as one team across our preeminent M&A, Financial Services, Capital Markets, Corporate Governance and Executive Compensation, Finance and Restructuring, Intellectual Property, and Commercial Real Estate practices, providing advice to clients on their most significant transactions. Our generalist approach produces the most well-rounded, seasoned transactional lawyers who can tailor advice for clients on all aspects of their unique situations.
Subscribe to receive memos on current issues and legal developments
- We represented Anheuser-Busch InBev in its $123 billion merger with SABMiller.
- We represented AT&T in its spin-off of WarnerMedia and its $108.7 billion acquisition of Time Warner.
- We guided the Government of Belize in a “debt-for-nature” swap restructuring of all of its approximately $550 million of external commercial debt—an amount that represents 30 percent of the country's GDP—becoming the first country in the Americas to complete a debt conversion that will fund ocean and marine life conservation. .
- We advised Canadian Pacific Railway in its $31 billion acquisition of Kansas City Southern, creating the first rail network connecting the U.S., Mexico and Canada.
- We helped DraftKings go public in the midst of the pandemic by using a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
- We helped SoftBank Group raise $20 billion by monetizing its stake in T-Mobile US.
- We advised SunTrust in its $66 billion merger-of-equals with BB&T, the biggest bank merger since 2004.
- We represented Tiffany & Co. in its $16 billion acquisition by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the largest deal in the luxury retail sector.
Recent Client Highlights
- S&C Advises Leonardo DRS in Merger with RADA Electronic Industries
- S&C Advises Symbotic in Completed Merger with SoftBank SPAC
- S&C Advises Majorel on Potential Merger with Sitel
- S&C Advises Biohaven in $11.6 Billion Acquisition by Pfizer
- S&C Advises Citizens Financial in Acquisition of Investors Bancorp
- Newsletter: ESG Trends and Hot Topics
- Practice Guide: Frank Aquila Authors Introduction to Chambers Global Practice Guide: Corporate M&A 2022
- Article: Cathy Clarkin, John Horsfield-Bradbury, Jeffrey Hochberg and Ekaterina Roze Author Chapters for Getting the Deal Through
- Memo: SEC Proposes Expansive Climate-Related Disclosure Rules
- Memo: Shareholder Activism in the Regulated Utility Sector
Recent S&C Critical Insights Podcasts
- S&C Critical Insights – Episode 2: Implications of SEC's Proposed Climate-Related Disclosure Rules
- S&C Critical Insights – Episode 1: Implications of SEC's Proposed Climate-Related Disclosure Rules
- S&C Critical Insights – Risks of Expropriation or Asset Seizure Impacting Global Investors
- S&C Critical Insights – An Introduction to Publicity Rights