- crisis management and corporate contingency planning;
- implementation of corporate and financial restructurings, including exchange offers, asset dispositions and judicial proceedings;
- distressed-for-control acquisitions; and
- special situation and bankruptcy litigation.
The Firm’s expertise is international. Its lawyers practice English, U.S., German and French law and have served as co-counsel or coordinating counsel on restructuring engagements involving more than 100 other jurisdictions. In global matters, S&C lawyers work alongside colleagues from other leading law firms to provide clients with the optimal combination of global best practices and local expertise.
S&C is known, in particular, for the breadth of its knowledge and the integration of its lawyers, who are part of a single, global partnership without profit center or internal division. Every restructuring engagement involves the formation of an ad hoc team that is drawn from elite restructuring, mergers-and-acquisitions, litigation, regulatory, tax and finance resources through the Firm.
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSSullivan & Cromwell lawyers have been involved in hundreds of restructuring transactions, and more specific credentials are available upon request for any industry or jurisdiction. Representative matters include:
- Eastman Kodak, as counsel to the company in its successful global restructuring, Chapter 11 case and relisting.
- Energy Future Holdings, as counsel to the official committee of creditors.
- Chrysler Group, as counsel to Fiat and New Chrysler in the acquisition and Chapter 11 case.
- Lehman Brothers, as counsel in its attempts to secure rescue capital prior to Chapter 11, and later as counsel to Barclays as the acquiror of its investment banking business.
- General Growth Properties, as counsel to Pershing Square, the largest shareholder, and Fairholme Capital, the largest creditor, in the reorganization of General Growth Properties.
- CIT Group, as counsel to the board and, subsequently, company in the largest pre-pack ever completed.
- The Weinstein Company, as counsel to the company in its successful out-of-court restructuring.
- Arcapita, as counsel to the company in its global restructuring and subsequent entry into Chapter 11.
- MF Global, as counsel in its attempted rescue sale.
- Los Angeles Dodgers, as counsel to Frank McCourt in the court-supervised $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise out of Chapter 11 to Guggenheim Baseball Management.
- Yell Group, as counsel to coordinating committee of distressed funds in its £2.8 billion restructuring.
- Republic of Argentina, as counsel to the international dealer-managers in the $102.5 billion sovereign debt restructuring involving 24 jurisdictions and bondholder litigation in the United States and Europe.