Sullivan & Cromwell represents companies and individuals in congressional investigations, including high-profile investigations of great importance.
The Congressional Investigations Group has a long history of guiding clients through their most critical investigations, bringing to bear insights from the Firm’s pre-eminent transactional and litigation practices. This multidisciplinary approach provides clients invaluable insights on how best to navigate often-unpredictable investigations, providing the best results possible—on and off Capitol Hill.
S&C’s advice is not limited to the four corners of the investigation: It extends to the broader effects that it may have on client operations, in litigation and other investigations, and in interactions with regulators.
S&C has advised on investigations by many congressional committees and investigative commissions, including:
- the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations;
- the Senate Judiciary Committee;
- the Senate Banking Committee;
- the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee;
- the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform;
- the House Financial Services Committee; and
- investigative bodies, such as the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission.
The Firm has prepared many prominent witnesses for testimony, including:
- chief executive officers and other executives from the world’s foremost financial institutions and industrial companies;
- witnesses central to national events, such as the 2008 financial crisis; and
- Supreme Court justices, other judges and cabinet members in confirmation, oversight and investigative hearings.
S&C lawyers have handled congressional investigations from both sides of the dais:
- as congressional staffers, including as chief counsel for the Senate Banking Committee; and
- as officials in the executive branch, including in the White House and in the leadership of the Justice Department.