S&C’s Bankruptcy Litigation practice combines the talents of our elite Restructuring and Litigation Group attorneys who collaborate to devise the optimal solutions for clients in a mix of complex domestic and international distressed situations. We represent debtors, creditors, financial institutions and purchasers in significant disputes and crisis management situations, including plan litigation and adversary proceedings in Chapter 11, Chapter 15 and other contexts.
Meet our practice leaders
James L. Bromley
For three decades, Jim has advised on the most high-profile restructuring and bankruptcy litigation matters across a range of industries. He has substantial first-chair trial experience. He has represented:
- Bluestone Resources and members of the Justice family in a 2021 action against Greensill Capital alleging fraud and breach of contract regarding $850 million of financing.
- AT&T in its escrow dispute with Nextel arising out of the 2015 Section 363 sale of Nextel's Mexican operations to AT&T for $1.85 billion.
- Edward S. Lampert and ESL Investments in litigation over the February 2019 Section 363 sale of Sears' operating assets for $5.2 billion, including acting as lead counsel in a three day trial that resulted in approval of the sale.*
- Nortel Networks, Inc. in months long landmark cross-border trial (U.S./Canada) on the allocation of $7.5 billion in sales proceeds among estates in the United States, Canada and EMEA.*
- United Auto Workers in the hotly contested litigation relating to Section 363 sales of General Motors and Chrysler, both of which included trials and in the case of Chrysler included expedited appeals to Second Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court.*
*Prior to joining S&C.
Brian D. Glueckstein
Brian's practice focuses on bankruptcy litigation and complex commercial litigation. He has experience handling adversary proceedings, contested matters, and all aspects from filing through trial and appeal of both debtor and creditor representations in bankruptcy proceedings. His experience includes representing:
- Garrett Motion; LSC Communications; and White Star Petroleum in their respective Chapter 11 proceedings, including evidentiary hearings, trials and appeals.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in connection with strategically important distressed supply chain situations, including the global insolvency proceedings and restructuring of Takata Corporation and related litigation; and numerous litigations spanning more than a decade involving enforcement of the sale order approving the historic bankruptcy acquisition of Chrysler's assets.
- Eastman Kodak Company in all litigation aspects of its complex Chapter 11 case and global reorganization.
- Energy Future Holdings Inc. unsecured creditors' committee through the power giant's massive restructuring, including a multi-week plan confirmation trial.
Learn more about our Restructuring and Litigation practices.