For nearly a century, Sullivan & Cromwell has innovated U.S. and global securities law. The Firm played a major role in the development of U.S. capital markets and was an important contributor to the drafting of securities laws, including the Securities Act of 1933.
Today, S&C is the leading law firm for U.S. and non-U.S. securities offerings by financial services companies. In particular, S&C is a leading firm for transactions involving capital securities issued by banking institutions, including common and preferred equity and more innovative hybrid securities.
S&C provides comprehensive service for all phases of capital markets transactions, including:
- developing capital instruments and advising on the requirements of the capital guidelines applicable to issuers, such as the Basel III guidelines for banking organizations;
- structuring, timing and tax planning;
- publicity and research on new offerings;
- prospectus preparation;
- regulatory and corporate law; and
- negotiation of agreements, trust indentures, fiscal energy agreements and other transaction documents.