Sullivan & Cromwell provides industry-leading environmental expertise to highly sophisticated clients. The world’s top companies, including leaders in the environmentally sensitive manufacturing, chemicals, petroleum and mining sectors, entrust their environmental work to the Firm.
S&C’s Environmental Group combines deep knowledge of environmental law and market practice with the Firm’s extensive corporate, litigation and finance capabilities. The Group tailors teams to meet clients’ particular needs by drawing on lawyers from across Firm practice areas.
The full-service advice S&C offers includes:
- handling a broad array of environmental and toxic tort litigation under a variety of federal and state laws, foreign national and multinational regulations and international conventions;
- practical environmental advice in commercial transactions on risk analysis and reduction;
- negotiation strategies and developing effective protections and efficient cost-sharing structures;
- advising clients on managing environmental risk, compliance strategies for current and pending legislation, structuring relationships with corporate affiliates and developing environmental programs to minimize liabilities;
- assisting with indemnity and insurance issues;
- conducting negotiations with regulatory authorities to resolve environmental issues; and
- working with communities to develop sustainable approaches to natural resource use through innovative project financings.