Michael Steinberg is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Sullivan & Cromwell and is a member of the Firm’s Litigation Group. For over thirty years, Mr. Steinberg has successfully represented leading businesses and prominent individuals in their most high-profile and challenging cases. Mr. Steinberg is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has tried a broad range of cases, running the gamut from M&A disputes to criminal matters.
Mr. Steinberg became a partner in 1995. He is the coordinating partner for Los Angeles litigation and serves on the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
- Member, Stanford Law School’s Board of Visitors
- Prior Chair, Member of the Executive Committee and Member of the Board of Directors of Public Counsel
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- BTI Client Service All-Star (Recognized for Litigation, 2013, 2019, and 2020; Recognized for M&A, 2020)
- Financial Times North America Innovative Lawyers 2016 – “Highly Commended” by Financial Times for role in Franco-Gonzalez, et al. v. Holder, et al.
- Global Pro Bono Dispute of the Year, The American Lawyer Global Awards – firm recognized for role in Franco-Gonzalez, et al. v. Holder, et al. (2014)
- Beacon of Justice Award, National Legal Aid & Defender Association (NLADA) – firm recognized for role in Franco-Gonzalez, et al. v. Holder, et al. (2014)
- Jack Wasserman Memorial Award for Excellence in Litigation, American Immigrants Lawyers Association (2014)
- Equal Justice Advocacy Award, ACLU (2014)
- Law Firm Pro Bono Award, Public Counsel – recognized for role in Franco-Gonzalez, et al. v. Holder, et al. (2012)
- Equal Access Advocacy Award, ACLU (2011)