Jeff Wall is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation Group and the head of its Supreme Court and Appellate Practice. Mr. Wall is the former Acting Solicitor General of the United States. He has argued 30 cases in the Supreme Court in a number of areas, including securities, class actions, arbitration, intellectual property, taxation, labor and employment, bankruptcy, preemption, the False Claims Act, the First Amendment, and criminal law and procedure. His recent arguments for the government and in private practice include Murphy v. NCAA (sports gambling), Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico v. Aurelius Investment, LLC (fiscal oversight of Puerto Rico), Frank v. Gaos (class actions), Epic Systems Corp. v. Lewis (arbitration), and Halo Electronics v. Pulse Electronics Inc. (patent damages). Mr. Wall has briefed and argued numerous cases before federal and state courts of appeals and administrative agencies. In addition to his appellate experience, Mr. Wall has represented clients in a range of complex civil and criminal matters at the trial level, including as lead counsel in a successful federal criminal trial. He often counsels clients on strategic legal issues arising from litigation, legislation, or governmental oversight or investigation.
Before rejoining Sullivan & Cromwell, Mr. Wall served in the Office of the Solicitor General as the Principal Deputy for four years, twice leading the office as the Acting Solicitor General from March to September 2017 and again from July 2020 to January 2021. In that role, he was responsible for overseeing appellate litigation by the United States in the Supreme Court and the courts of appeals, which required coordinating with and counseling agencies throughout the federal government on their regulatory objectives. He successfully argued several major Supreme Court cases on the separation of powers, constitutional rights, executive authority, and religious liberty. Mr. Wall also served as an Assistant to the Solicitor General from 2008 to 2013.
Following law school, Mr. Wall clerked for Associate Justice Clarence Thomas of the U.S. Supreme Court, and Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He has taught courses in law school on administrative law and federal jurisdiction. He is a member of the American Law Institute, member and former officer of the Edward Coke Appellate Inn of Court, member of the Supreme Court Historical Society, and former member of the Advisory Committee on Procedures for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Reflections: A Conversation with Judge Julius N. Richardson and Jeffrey B. Wall, (Columbia Law School and NYU Law School April 4, 2023)”
- “Oral Argument Before The Supreme Court,” (National Association of Attorneys General, November 30, 2022)
- “A Conversation with Jeff Wall and U.S. Judge Julius Richardson,” (Federalist Society at the University of Virginia School of Law, September 29, 2022)
- “Supreme Court Preview,” (Heritage Foundation, September 27, 2022)
- “Supreme Court Preview,” (Federalist Society, September 27, 2022)
- "Supreme Court Preview," (William & Mary Law School, September 16, 2022)
- “Appellate Advocacy: Tips from the Pros” (Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference, September 1, 2022)
- “Supreme Court – A Year in Review, 2021 Term” (New York City Bar, July 20, 2022)
- “An Evening with Adrian Vermeule,” (The National Press Club, Book Launch for Adrian Vermeule’s Common Good Constitutionalism, May 26, 2022)
- “Congress, Jurisdiction, Process, & the Institution of the Supreme Court,” (The C. Boyden Gray Center, Congress’s Interbranch Role: The Executive, the Court, and Dobbs, May 25, 2022)
- “The Supreme Court at a Crossroads,” (Harvard Law School Association, May 12, 2022)
- “Regulatory Outlook: EPA, FTC, & SEC,” (U.S. Chamber Litigation Center and Institute for Legal Reform, Free Enterprise in the Courts: What to Expect in 2022 and Beyond, April 27, 2022)
- “U.S. Supreme Court Update,” (Eighth Circuit Judicial Conference, Law in a Time of Crisis, October 29, 2021)
- “Advocacy in the Thomas-era Court,” (The Heritage Foundation, Justice Thomas’s Thirty-Year Legacy on the Court, October 21, 2021)
- “Backing a Winner: Long Term Davis Conference Center Strategies for Cases to Advance to the Supreme Court,” (The Heritage Foundation, Legal Strategy Forum, October 6, 2021)
- “Supreme Court Press Preview: Anticipating the Supreme Court’s October Term 2021,” (Georgetown University Law Center, September 21, 2021)
- “Dunn Lecture: A Conversation About The Supreme Court,” (William & Mary Law School, September 13, 2021)
- “What will be the role of the Biden Solicitor General and what’s in store for the shadow docket?” (William & Mary Law School, Supreme Court Preview, September 11, 2021)
- “Are we all textualists now? A look at the Supreme Court’s business cases and statutory interpretation puzzles,” (William & Mary Law School, Supreme Court Preview, September 11, 2021)