James C. Morphy joined Sullivan & Cromwell in 1979 after graduating Phi Beta Kappa from Harvard College (B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1976) and Harvard Law School (J.D., 1979). He was elected a partner of the Firm in 1986. Mr. Morphy was the managing partner of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group from 1995 to 2007. He is a former member of the Firm’s Management Committee.
Mr. Morphy provides mergers and acquisitions advice for a wide range of transactions, including both friendly and hostile acquisitions, representing buyers, sellers, special committees of independent directors and financial advisers.
Mr. Morphy’s recognitions and professional activities attest to his leadership in the M&A field:
- Described by peers as an “exceptional negotiator” and “very solution-oriented.” (International Who's Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers, 2013).
- “[N]otable for his brevity of style and lack of fuss. He carries an argument without any problem, and works well in the boardroom.” (International Who’s Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers, 2012).
- “James Morphy is an ‘outstanding negotiator and able to look at the big issues and come up with solutions that will reflect his clients’ needs . . . .’” (Chambers USA, 2012).
- Named as one of “10 Most Highly Regarded M&A Lawyers in the World” by International Who's Who of Merger and Acquisition Lawyers in 2012.
- Named as one of “10 Most Highly Regarded Corporate Governance Lawyers in the World” by International Who's Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers in 2013.
- Named as “The Best of the Best 2011” by Legal Media Expert Guide.
- The Best of the Best listing the best 25 M&A lawyers in the world in a survey by International Financial Law Review.
- One of 15 Most Highly Regarded Individuals in Global M&A by International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers.
- Named by The American Lawyer as “Dealmaker of the Year” in 2007.
- Best Lawyers’ 2011 “New York Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year.”
- Advisory Director of the Harvard Law Program on Corporate Governance.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States for M&A in 2007, 2011-2013 and named a "Leading Lawyer" in 2014.
- Honorary Fellow to The American College of Governance Counsel.
Mr. Morphy has been named a leading corporate governance lawyer by An International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers and PLC Corporate Governance and Directors’ Duties Handbook.