2020 Proxy Season: What Companies and Boards Can LearnSullivan & Cromwell's 2020 proxy season review will analyze significant trends and developments relating to the 2020 U.S. annual meeting proxy season and highlight implications for the 2021 proxy season as companies navigate the post-COVID-19 environment. We address issues that U.S. public companies and their boards should consider as they engage with investors, regulators, employees, and other stakeholders, who continue to be increasingly focused long-term sustainability, diversity and inclusion, and social capital.
Download: Part 1—Rule 14a-8 Shareholder Proposals
Download: Part 2—Say-on-Pay Votes and Equity Compensation
Please visit our LinkedIn and Twitter channels for announcements of new proxy season memo postings.
On September 23, S&C Corporate Governance co-heads Marc Treviño and Melissa Sawyer and associate June Hu hosted a webinar to further explain the lessons of the past year and what to expect going forward. They examined topics including Rule 14a-8 shareholder proposals, say-on-pay votes and equity compensation, and what to expect in 2021.
Click below to access the slides.
S&C's Corporate Governance Practice
Sullivan & Cromwell offers clients a deep understanding of corporate governance requirements, practices and trends. In every area of corporate governance—from normal disclosures and policy matters to extraordinary activist campaigns—our Corporate Governance practice offers market-leading expertise honed from decades of experience.
Meet Our Partners:
Marc Treviño is the co-head of S&C's Corporate Governance practice, the managing partner of its Executive Compensation group, and a founding member of its Financial Institutions group. Marc is a recognized leader in structuring and counseling senior executives and boards in significant matters involving reputation, overlapping regulatory regimes, fiduciary conflicts and multiple jurisdictions, with a particular emphasis on matters involving financial institutions.
Melissa Sawyer is the co-head of the Firm's Corporate Governance & Activism Practice and a partner in the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions Group. She regularly advises clients on governance, activism and takeover defense matters. Melissa's experience spans multiple industries, including consumer and retail, industrials, medtech and insurance.
- Best Practices for Boards Navigating Bankruptcy
- Corporate Governance Hot Topics
- Business Continuity Planning Following COVID-19: Considerations for U.S. Public Company Directors
- Frank Aquila and Melissa Sawyer Look at Fiduciary Duties in the Zone of Insolvency
- Sergio Galvis and Werner Ahlers Discuss Shareholder Activism in Podcast and Chapter as part of Latin Lawyer's Guide to Corporate Crisis Management, Second Edition
- ISS Announces Policy Guidance on the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Marc Treviño and Melissa Sawyer Offer Insights on Dealing with Activist Directors with M&A Agendas
- Review and Analysis of 2019 U.S. Shareholder Activism