Gauthier Blanluet joined Sullivan & Cromwell as a partner in 2003. His practice mainly focuses on tax, mergers and acquisitions, and capital markets. He is also a professor of Business Tax Law at the University of Paris II.
Mr. Blanluet is recognized as one of the leading French lawyers for matters related to tax and mergers and acquisitions.
- Mr. Blanluet is a professor of Business Tax Law and co-director of the master's degree program in Tax Law at the University of Paris II.
- Within the International Fiscal Association (IFA), Mr. Blanluet is a member of the board of directors of the IFA’s French branch and also serves as the French representative of the IFA permanent scientific committee.
- Mr. Blanluet is both a member of the board of directors and a member of the international committee of the IACF (Institut des Avocats et Conseils Fiscaux).
- Mr. Blanluet is co-head of the tax commission at the Club des Juristes.
- He is also a member of the International Bar Association, the French Institute of Tax Lawyers, the European Association of Tax Law Professors, the Société de Législation Comparée and the Association Henri Capitant.
- Best Lawyers in France: Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Tax (2010, 2011)
- Chambers Europe: Corporate and M&A, and Tax (since 2007)
- Chambers Global: Tax (since 2000) and M&A (since 2003)
- IFLR1000: M&A (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers (2002, 2004, 2008)
- European Legal Experts: Tax (since 2005)
- Who’s Who Legal: Corporate Tax (2010, 2011)
- The Legal 500 EMEA: Transactional/Corporate Tax (since 2011)
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSMergers and Acquisitions and Other Corporate Transactions
- Advised Rio Tinto on the tax aspects related to the disposal of its packaging business
- Advising Crédit Mutuel on certain tax aspects related to a pending joint venture in the consumer credit business
- Advised Suez Environnement on the tax aspects of its spin-off
- Advised EDF in its tender offer for the shares of EDF Energies Nouvelles
- Advised Renault and Nissan in their strategic cooperation with Daimler
- Advised Crédit Agricole in the €6.6 billion combination of Crédit Agricole’s and Société Générale’s asset management businesses
- Represented Goldman Sachs in GS Whitehall’s numerous real estate acquisitions throughout Europe and in the hotel industry in particular
- Advised France Télécom in its €3.3 billion sale of PagesJaunes to KKR, its €579 million synthetic merger with Equant and its €5 billion acquisition of the minority interests in Wanadoo
- Advised Thomson in its $516 million joint venture with TCL in China, and in the acquisition by Silver Lake Partners of a $500 million interest in Thomson
- Advised Eutelsat on its reorganisation
- Advised Natixis in connection with the €35 billion guarantee issued by BPCE, its parent company, to cover toxic assets held by Natixis
- Advised Technicolor (formerly Thomson) in its debt restructuring
- Advised a CIFG creditor group in connection with commutation/recapitalization transactions to restore the financial position of CIFG
- Advised Goldman Sachs in connection with the refinancing of Eurotunnel restructuring
- Advising Alcatel-Lucent on rights issue and high-yield offerings
- Advising BNPP on several structured transactions
- Advised Morgan Stanley on a derivative product
- Advised Polygon Investments on a confidential financial transaction
- Advised the underwriters on the initial public offering of CFAO
- Advised Eutelsat on its debt offering
- Advised EDF on several bond offerings
- Advised Suez Environnement in its listings on Euronext Paris and Euronext Brussels
- Advised Paris RE in its €224.5 million initial public offering
- Represented the underwriters in the €1 billion initial public offering by Eutelsat
- Represented the underwriters in EDF’s €7.5 billion privatization, considered the largest IPO ever in France
- Advised France Télécom in its €5.1 billion privatization via an unregistered accelerated book-build offering and combined €1.15 billion OCEANEs offering
- Represented the issuer and selling shareholder in the €1.25 billion initial public offering by PagesJaunes
- Represented the underwriters in Vivendi Universal’s precedent-setting $1.3 billion and follow-on $1.6 billion high-yield debt offerings