Michael M. WisemanPartner
Michael Wiseman represents domestic and international commercial banks, investment banks and insurance companies. His practice encompasses regulatory and enforcement issues, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, new products initiatives, derivative products, payment system issues, cybersecurity, and corporate governance and counseling.
As managing partner of the Firm’s Financial Services Group, Mr. Wiseman has a long history of advising global financial institutions on their largest transactional and their most sensitive regulatory matters.
During the Financial Crisis, among other engagements, Mr. Wiseman advised AIG in connection with the $85 billion emergency financing plan with the Federal Reserve and subsequent $30 billion equity capital commitment facility. He then represented AIG in its capital restructuring and public offerings in connection with its exit from government ownership. He was recognized by The American Lawyer as a “Dealmaker of the Year” for his work on AIG. He also represented Goldman Sachs in its conversion to a bank holding company and UBS on a variety of matters, including obtaining SWF investments during the Financial Crisis.
Mr. Wiseman has also advised UBS on a variety of matters including enforcement, restructuring, acquisition, corporate governance and capital raising matters. He recently represented UBS in connection with its creation of a new top tier holding company.
His enforcement practice has included representations of Bank of New York Mellon, Standard Chartered, Lloyds Bank PLC, Deutsche Bank, AIG, Moodys, Goldman Sachs, UBS, SEB and, recently, BNP Paribas in connection with the resolution of its recent sanctions matter.
His mergers and acquisitions experience includes acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures representing, among others, AIG, Bank of New York Mellon, U.S. Trust, UBS, Barclays, Dresdner Bank and SEB. His payment system representations include The Clearing House Association and CHIPS, as well as the creation of CLS. His trade association representations include The Clearing House Association, BAFT-IFSA and SIFMA.
Clients which he regularly advises include AIG, Bank of Montreal, Bank of New York Mellon, Barclays, BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Moodys, Nordea, The Clearing House Association LLP and UBS.
- The American Lawyer, “Dealmaker of the Year” (2009) – in its first-ever ranking of the Dealmakers of the Year, The American Lawyer ranked Mr. Wiseman #5 among the 25 attorneys selected
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Financial Services Regulation: Banking (Compliance), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014; Banking (Enforcement and Investigations), 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014; Financial Institutions M&A, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Banking and Finance: Mainly Regulatory, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- The Legal 500 United States (2012-2014)
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers – Best of the Best (Banking, 2008, 2010)
- Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Banking Lawyers (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009)
- IFLR1000 (Financial Services Regulatory, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers (Banking, 2002, 2003-2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- PLC’s Global Counsel 3000 (Banking, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004)
- The Best Lawyers in America (Banking Law, 2001-2015; Financial Services Regulation Law, 2001-2015)
- Super Lawyers (Banking, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Lawdragon 500: Leading Lawyers in America (Banking, 2008, 2009-2010, 2011, 2012)