Andrew Gladin is a partner in the Firm’s Financial Institutions and Corporate and Finance Groups. His practice focuses on capital markets activities, with a particular emphasis on regulatory capital issues, such as Basel III and new products, mergers and acquisitions, cross-border structured transactions and other corporate matters for U.S. and international banking, financial services and private equity clients.
In addition, Mr. Gladin has represented U.S. and international financial institutions in connection with a variety of regulatory issues, including investigations and enforcement actions, before Federal and state bank regulatory agencies, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority and other governmental agencies.
Mr. Gladin’s representations have included:
- M&T Bank Corporation in the amendment and sale by the U.S. Treasury of M&T TARP Preferred Stock
- Fifth Third in connection with the “Up-C” structuring of the Vantiv, Inc. IPO.
- The Clearing House Association in connection with various Basel III and Dodd-Frank capital, liquidity, stress testing and other related matters
- Standard Chartered in the sale of its Latin American private banking business to Santander
- Barclays in the sale of HomEq Servicing to Ocwen
- Popular in its sale of an interest in its Evertec processing business to Apollo
- Warburg Pincus in its investments in Webster Financial Corporation and Sterling Financial Corporation
- Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase as dealer managers and financial advisers in a series of exchange offers by KeyCorp
- New York Community Bancorp in its acquisition of AmTrust from the FDIC, as receiver
- Fifth Third Bancorp in the partial sale of its processing business to Advent International
- Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase as underwriters in equity and debt offerings by KeyCorp to repay the U.S. Treasury’s TARP investment.
- The Soros funds in their investment in IndyMac Bank
- JPMorgan Chase, KeyCorp and Emigrant in connection with the U.S. Treasury’s TARP investments
- JPMorgan Chase and Deutsche Bank in connection with the secondary sale of TARP warrants by the U.S. Treasury
- Goldman Sachs as financial adviser to the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)
- Citigroup in its private placement of equity securities to the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation
- The underwriters, including Goldman Sachs, Lehman and Wachovia Securities, in connection with the structuring and issuance of exchangeable REIT preferreds, hybrid capital securities and convertible securities, including for PNC, TD Banknorth and Wachovia
- Wachovia in the sale of its subprime mortgage services business to Barclays and in its acquisition of GE’s auto warranty business
- KeyCorp in its acquisitions of U.S.B. Holding and Austin Capital Management
- M&T Bank Corporation in its acquisition of Partners Trust and of a minority interest in Bayview Lending Group
- The Royal Bank of Canada in its acquisition of the Carlin Financial Group
- Artisan Partners in the sale of a minority interest to Hellman & Friedman
- Major U.S. and non-U.S. financial institutions in connection with cross-border structured finance transactions and joint ventures
- The Bank of New York in several investments in synthetic fuel production facilities
- Various U.S., Australian, French, Portuguese, Swiss and U.K. financial institutions in connection with various U.S. bank regulatory and related matters
In 2011, Andy led the effort to develop S&C’s online Financial Services Reform Resource Center and the launch of S&C’s Dodd-Frank Developments tracker and calendar tool – a free, web-based resource that provides updates regarding Dodd-Frank regulatory developments, and clear, concise summaries of all Dodd-Frank rulemakings and enables practitioners to project future work flow, such as comment letters to regulators and compliance requirements.
- U.S. Capital and Liquidity Regulation of Foreign Banking Organizations, Regulation of Foreign Banks & Affiliates in the United States (7th Ed. 2013) (co-author)
- Dodd-Frank, Basel III and the Age of Uncertainty, Bank Director (2012) (co-author)
- Understanding Basel III, Practical Law: The Journal (Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011)
- Bank Capital Reform: Observations from a U.S. Perspective, International Investment & ETFs Review, (2010) (co-author)
- New York Super Lawyers – Rising Star (Banking)