Alison S. ResslerPartner
Alison S. Ressler is a leading authority on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and capital markets. She provides advice to U.S. and non-U.S. corporations, private equity investors, boards of directors and financial advisers for a wide range of transactions in regulated and unregulated industries.
Often cited at the top of the legal profession by leading industry publications, she has recently received the honors of American Lawyer’s “Dealmaker of the Week,” for her role advising Valeant in its acquisition of Salix Pharmaceuticals; American Lawyer’s “Dealmaker of the Year,” for her role advising Barclays in the sale of Barclays Global Investors to BlackRock; and Law360’s 2014 “M&A MVP,” in part for her roles advising Valeant in its $55 billion hostile takeover attempt of Allergan and Zynga in its $527 million acquisition of NaturalMotion.
Ms. Ressler is a member of the Firm’s Management Committee, serves as co-head of the Global Private Equity Group and is responsible for the Firm’s practice in California.
Alison Ressler is regularly recognized at the top of the legal profession in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate governance and capital markets by the following authorities:
- The American Lawyer
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- The Legal 500
- Financial Times
- Daily Journal
- The Lawyer
- The M&A Advisor
Professional Activities and Community Involvement
- Member of the Dean’s Council, Columbia Law School
- Trustee and Treasurer, Brown University
- Trustee, Harvard-Westlake School
SELECTED REPRESENTATIONSRecent M&A transactions in which she has been involved include:
- ATL Investco’s acquisition of the Atlanta Hawks.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc.’s $15.8 billion acquisition of Salix Pharmaceuticals Ltd.; its unsolicited offer to acquire Allergan Inc.; its acquisition of PreCision Dermatology Inc.; its $1.4 billion sale of aesthetic products to Galderma S.A.; its acquisitions of Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation, QLT Inc.’s Visudyne business and Eyetech Inc.; and its aborted bid for Cephalon Inc.
- Ares Management’s acquisition of a significant stake in American Tire Distributors Inc.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board’s acquisition of PODS.
- the acquisition of Grocery Outlet Inc. by affiliates of Hellman & Friedman LLC, as counsel to MacGregor Read and Eric Lindberg, shareholders and co-CEOs of Grocery Outlet Inc.
- Endo International plc’s acquisition of Auxilium Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Vestis Retail Group’s, a portfolio company of Versa Capital Management, acquisition of Sport Chalet Inc.
- Tinicum Inc. portfolio company Consolidated Aerospace Manufacturing LLC’s acquisition of Bristol Industries.
- Zynga Inc.’s acquisition of NaturalMotion Ltd.
- American Realty Capital Properties’ $11.2 billion acquisition of Cole Real Estate Investments, as counsel to Christopher Cole and certain other executives. and Cole Credit Property Trust III Inc.’s acquisition of Cole Holdings Corp.
- the acquisition of Dole Foods Co. by an investor group led by Dole Chairman and CEO David H. Murdock, as counsel to Dole’s special committee.
- the acquisition of CPG International Inc. by the affiliated funds of Ares Management and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board.
- the purchase of Activision Blizzard shares from Vivendi, as counsel to ASAC II, an investment vehicle led by Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick and Co-Chairman Brian Kelly.
- the acquisition of Dell Inc. by an investor group led by Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners and financed in part by Microsoft, as counsel to Microsoft.
- Microsoft Corp.’s acquisition of Skype Global S.à r.l. from an investor group led by Silver Lake, as counsel to both Skype and Silver Lake.
Recent companies that Ms. Ressler has advised in significant corporate governance and proxy contest engagements include:
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals
- BJ’s Restaurants
- Central Pacific Financial
- Cypress Bioscience
- Entertainment Properties Trust
- New Century Financial
- Pacific Sunwear of California
- SandRidge Energy
- Vineyard National