Perennial Leader in M&A
Perennial Leader in M&A
• S&C is the leading firm in global M&A over the last five years, having advised principals in approximately $1.25 trillion in announced transactions worldwide from 2007 to 2011. Over the same period, S&C has been involved in eight of the top 10, representing a principal in three of the top five, announced M&A transactions worldwide (Bloomberg).
• From 2002 to 2011, Sullivan & Cromwell also advised on a greater volume of M&A transactions in the Asia-Pacific region and is the leading firm by value in announced Latin American M&A transactions during that period (Bloomberg).
- In June 2012, S&C received the award in the Corporate/M&A team category at the 2012 Chambers USA Awards for Excellence.
- In June 2012, London partner Tim Emmerson was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his role advising CGI in its acquisition of Logica
- In April 2012, Firm chairman Joseph Shenker was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his role advising Frank McCourt in the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers out of bankruptcy to Guggenheim Baseball Management.
- In April 2012, S&C was named Global M&A Law Firm of the Year at Global M&A Network's 2012 Major Markets M&A Atlas Awards. The firm also received Deal of the Year for its representation of Skype and Silver Lake in the $8.5 billion acquisition of Skype by Microsoft from a Silver Lake-led consortium and Energy and Services Deal of the Year for advising BHP Billiton on its $15 billion purchase of Petrohawk Energy Corp.
- In April 2012, The Deal magazine recognized the Silver Lake/Skype transaction among its “Private Equity Deals of the Year”
- In April 2012, Palo Alto partner Sarah Payne was featured in Law360 as a Rising Star for her M&A work.
- In March 2012, three of S&C’s younger partners were recognized in M&A Advisor’s 40 Under 40 Award. Melissa Sawyer and Krishna Veeraraghavan received the award and Andrew Gerlach was named one of the 20 finalists.
- In March 2012, S&C received the M&A Deal of the Year award at Latin Lawyer’s Deal of the Year Awards for its work advising ING Groep in Grupo Suramericana’s $3.8 billion acquisition of its Latin American pensions, life insurance and investment management businesses.
- In January 2012, S&C was named “Latin America Legal Advisor of the Year” and Medco Health Solutions’ purchase by Express Scripts (S&C advised Medco) was named “Americas Corporate Deal of the Year” by mergermarket and the Financial Times as part of their 2011 Americas’ M&A Awards.
- In January 2012, The Deal magazine recognized three transactions in which S&C was involved as “M&A Deals of the Year”: i) BHP Billiton’s $15 billion purchase of Petrohawk Energy (S&C advised BHP Billiton); Bucyrus’s $8.6 billion acquisition by Caterpillar (S&C advised Bucyrus); and Amgen’s $1 billion acquisition of BioVex (S&C advised Amgen).
- In December 2011, senior chairman H. Rodgin Cohen received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the M&A Advisor for his contributions to the M&A industry
- In November 2011, Law360 recognized New York partner James Morphy among its “MVPs” for M&A, honoring lawyers whose accomplishments in major transactions have raised the bar in corporate law in 2011.
- In November 2011, New York partner Matthew Hurd was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his role advising Pharmasset in its acquisition by Gilead Sciences.
- In May 2011, Los Angeles partner Alison Ressler and Palo Alto partner Sarah Payne were recognized by The American Lawyer as “Dealmakers of the Week” for advising Skype and Silver Lake Partners in Microsoft’s $8.5 billion May 9 agreement to acquire Skype.