Firm & Lawyer Recognitions
Sullivan & Cromwell’s leadership continues to be recognized in legal research and reference media, including leading guides to the legal profession published by Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, ALB and Euromoney.
In May 2012, S&C was awarded International Firm of the Year at the ALB Australasian Law Awards. In September 2011, S&C was named Tax Firm of the Year at the International Tax Review Americas Tax Awards. In June 2011, Chambers and Partners announced the winners of the Chambers USA Awards for Excellence 2011. S&C received the award for Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Team of the Year. In 2010, S&C received a Chambers USA Award for Excellence for Energy Projects: Oil & Gas Team of the Year, and in 2009 and 2008, S&C received the award in the Corporate/M&A Team of the Year category. In May 2011, The Lawyer featured the Firm in its fourth annual Transatlantic Elite supplement as one of the Sweet Sixteen law firms that will continue to set the pace in the natural resources market over the next decade.
S&C was among the top five firms with the most national tier 1 rankings in the inaugural U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers Best Law Firms survey. The Firm also ranked highly in the survey’s metropolitan rankings. The results ranked 8,782 firms across the United States, and were based on client and lawyer feedback.
In March 2011, S&C won the M&A Deal of the Year award at the IFLR Asia Awards in Hong Kong. In February 2011, S&C was honored by The Deal for its role in AIA Group Limited’s IPO in the magazine’s “Deal of the Year 2010”. Insto magazine recognized S&C with its Australian Issuer of the Year Award (in the international bond markets category) in February 2011. In its December/January issue, India Business Law Journal recognized S&C for its role in Tata Motors’ $750 million equity and debt offering, among its deals of the year.
In July 2011, S&C was named the New York Law Firm of the Year 2011 by Who’s Who Legal, marking the second consecutive year that S&C has received this honor. S&C ranked #3 on Vault’s annual list of the nation’s “Top 100 Most Prestigious Law Firms” in June 2011. S&C was recognized on Directors & Boards’ 2010 Top Corporate Governance Law Firms list, which was published in the fall 2010 issue of the magazine. The Firm was ranked among the top 10 firms for general corporate governance issues and among the top 10 firms for board-level M&A issues.
In May 2010, Corporate Board Member magazine announced that S&C had been named one of America’s Best Corporate Law Firms. Each year, Corporate Board Member ranks U.S. law firms based on its survey of directors and general counsel of publicly traded companies. S&C has been among the top five firms nationwide since the magazine first published this survey in 2001.
In its January 2010 issue, The American Lawyer honored S&C in its Litigation Department of the Year biennial survey, highlighting the significant litigation the Firm handled for financial institutions clients in connection with the global banking crisis. For the fourth year in a row, S&C and its lawyers received top honors in the 2011 edition of Euromoney’s Benchmark: America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, which notes, “S&C has experienced a year of high-level appointments and resounding victories that can only be described as extraordinary, and the firm’s profile has been kept aloft on a wave of headlines and unanimous peer accolades.”
In its 2010 BTI Client Service A-Team, The BTI Consulting Group recognized S&C for providing superior client service – standing out in a field of more than 500 law firms serving the Fortune 1000. The report is based solely on feedback from corporate counsel, and S&C is one of the few select law firms recognized by clients.
In December 2010, the Firm was recognized by the Financial Times in its inaugural U.S. Innovative Lawyers Report in the Automotive, Litigation and Pro Bono categories. In January 2011, Law360 named S&C’s mergers and acquisitions practice as its “Corporate Finance Group of the Year” for 2010. In the article highlighting the Firm, Law360 noted that S&C established itself as a “global leader in emerging markets; and played a key role in energy, private equity and other deals.” Law360 also named S&C’s International Trade and Investment Practice as one of the five top international trade groups of 2010. In its article featuring the Firm, the publication noted the group works across practices, “tapping members of the firm’s criminal defense and investigations, financial institutions and mergers and acquisitions groups, among others, to help advise clients.”
Our partners have been further distinguished by being selected as star performers in their fields of practice, including:
- among the best 75 lawyers in Asia in the first Client Choice Hot 75 Survey of Asian Legal Business
- among the Daily Journal’s list of “Top 100 Lawyers in California”
- among International Tax Review’s Tax Disputes/Controversy Leaders Guide leading lawyers and advisers
- named to the National Association of Corporate Directors Directorship 100
- as the recipients of Burton Awards for Legal Achievement (2002 – 2011)
- as an Am Law Litigation Daily Litigator of the Week and Dealmaker of the Week (2010 – 2011)
- among The American Lawyer’s Dealmakers of the Year (2008 – 2011)
- as The American Lawyer Dealmakers in the Spotlight (2011)
- among The American Lawyer’s “45 Under 45” (2010)
- as a recipient of Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Best in White Collar Crime Europe (2011)
- as U.K. Young Dealmakers of the Year by Mergermarket and IntraLinks (2011)
- as Law360’s Rising Stars Under 40 (2010)
- among Germany’s Best Lawyers (2011) and Best Lawyers Frankfurt/Main Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year (2011)
- among Best Lawyers in Australia (2011)
- as New York Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers (2011)
- as Corporate Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers France (2010)
- as National Association of Corporate Directors Directorship 100’s Corporate Governance Hall of Fame (2010)
- as a “Pro Bono Attorney of the Month” by Kids in Need of Defense (2011)
- among Turnarounds & Workouts’ Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers (2010)
- as one of the Decade’s Most Influential Lawyers by The National Law Journal (2010)
- among the top 25 people named to Institutional Investor’s “The Power 25: Leaders in Finance” list (2010)
- among the top lawyers by Euromoney’s Benchmark: America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys (2008 – 2011) in antitrust, general commercial, international arbitration, securities, white-collar crime and local litigation (New York) categories
- among the 2011 BTI Client Service All-Stars, one of whom was the only lawyer recognized for ten consecutive years
- as two of the lawyers recognized in Human Resource Executive’s list of “the nation’s most powerful employment attorneys” (2009 – 2011), and as one of the magazine’s “Top 10 Leaders of the Pack” and as two of the lawyers recognized among the magazine’s “The Nation’s 50 Most Powerful Employment Attorneys” (2008 – 2011)