For more information on Sullivan & Cromwell’s Commodities, Futures and Derivatives practice, please contact Kenneth M. Raisler (transactional or litigation matters), David J. Gilberg (transactional matters) or Steven R. Peikin (litigation matters).
Sullivan & Cromwell’s Commodities, Futures and Derivatives Group provides a full range of transactional, advisory and litigation services in connection with the structuring, offering and trading of commodity and derivative products of all types. We are extensively and integrally involved in all aspects of the commodities and derivatives businesses.
We advise on the development of new products, the structuring and implementation of complex transactions and the obtaining of necessary regulatory relief. We assist clients in responding to governmental inquiries and defend them in governmental and private actions. Our coordinated practice enables insights and ideas from one area to cross-fertilize other areas. The following are examples of the principal types of matters handled by our lawyers:
- Advice on the development of new technologies, financial indices, electronic trading systems, exchanges and clearing houses in connection with the trading of futures, options and OTC derivatives, including advice on structuring, regulatory, intellectual property and other issues and transactional representation
- Regulatory and transactional advice regarding derivatives, including advice on structuring and documenting transactions and advice on securities, commodities, banking, insurance, cross-border, margin, insolvency and other issues
- Regulatory and transactional advice to hedge fund groups, including structuring and development of advisory businesses and funds
- Compliance and investigatory reviews of commodities and derivatives businesses, including training and development of internal policies and procedures to govern businesses and establishment of structured product review committees to comply with regulatory guidelines
- Policy, legislative and regulatory comment and advice relating to commodities, securities, banking and international law issues affecting commodities and derivatives
- Advice to banks, investment banks, hedge funds, utilities and others on trading issues, including the establishment of trading ventures involving commodities, securities, currencies and derivatives
- Coordinating global advice regarding the status of trading, advisory and information systems under the laws of multiple jurisdictions.
Sending an e-mail through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not send us any information through this website that you would want treated confidentially.